Software Engineer - Intelligent Dispatch (Marketplace Dynamics)
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
The Intelligent Dispatch team, within the broader Marketplace Dynamics group, formulates, develops and optimizes dispatching algorithms and new dispatching paradigms with the goal of increasing efficiency and lowering ETAs & prices across all of Uber's marketplaces. In school, you may have learned about NP-hard problems like TSP (traveling salesman problem), VRP (vehicle routing problem), and the Knapsack problem - how would you like to resolve even harder versions of these problems at scale, in real-time? And we're not just talking about designing algorithms - you will also be building robust production systems to fuel these algorithms from the ground up.
We service UberX, our core personal transit business, by evolving our rider/driver matching algorithms from locally greedy to globally optimal. We optimize UberPool by putting attention on areas like rider/rider matching, time/cost tradeoffs, chaining, and the elusive "perpetual trip". We also enable Uber's emerging marketplaces like UberRUSH (package delivery) and UberEATS (food delivery), which introduce new complexities around inventory, flexible time windows, and high capacity.
If you're seeking to join a team spanning a diverse skillset across scalable distributed systems, online machine learning, algorithms design and optimization, and want to build the dispatching brain to power the planet, then this job is for you. Send me a message if you are as passionate about making an impact as we are, or just want to contribute to a high-caliber team at one of the fastest growing companies in San Francisco.
What you'll need
- Passion to get things done with a focus on shipping online production systems. Roadblocks don't get in your way - they get you excited for the challenge.
- Deep love of creating elegant, maintainable, well-documented code. Abstracting and refactoring should be a passion, not a chore.
- Enthusiasm for improving infrastructure performance with a sense of product needs.
- Drive to always learn new things and go above and beyond the call of duty.
- Excellent communication skills and a collaborative approach to problem-solving. Always working to improve yourself and constructively support the team around you.
- Have excellent attention to detail.
- Have experience with machine learning, optimization, and algorithms.
- Deep understanding of data analysis, exploration, statistics, and general system design.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top