Software Engineer - Intelligent Dispatch (Marketplace Dynamics)
The Intelligent Dispatch team, within the broader Marketplace Dynamics group, formulates, builds and optimizes dispatching algorithms and new dispatching paradigms with the goal of increasing efficiency and lowering ETAs & prices across all of Uber’s marketplaces. In school, you may have learned about NP-hard problems like TSP (traveling salesman problem), VRP (vehicle routing problem), and the Knapsack problem – how would you like to solve even harder versions of these problems at scale, in realtime? And we’re not just talking about designing algorithms – you will also be building robust production systems to power these algorithms from the ground up.
We power UberX, our core personal transit business, by evolving our rider/driver matching algorithms from locally greedy to globally optimal. We optimize UberPool by focusing on areas like rider/rider matching, time/cost tradeoffs, chaining, and the elusive “perpetual trip”. We also enable Uber’s emerging marketplaces like UberRUSH (package delivery) and UberEATS (food delivery), which introduce new challenges around inventory, flexible time windows, and high capacity.
If you’re seeking to join a team spanning a diverse skillset across scalable distributed systems, online machine learning, algorithms design and optimization, and want to build the dispatching brain to power the planet, then this job is for you. Send me a message if you are as crazy about making an impact as we do, or just want to work with a high-caliber team at one of the fastest growing companies in San Francisco.
- Fierceness to get things done with a focus on shipping online production systems. Roadblocks don’t get in your way – they get you excited for the challenge.
- Deep love of building elegant, maintainable, well-documented code. Abstracting and refactoring should be a passion, not a chore.
- Enthusiasm for improving infrastructure performance with a sense of product needs.
- Drive to always learn new things and go above and beyond the call of duty.
- Strong communication skills and a collaborative approach to problem-solving. Always working to improve yourself and constructively support the team around you.
Bonus points if you:
- Have excellent attention to detail.
- Have experience with machine learning, optimization, and algorithms.
- Deep understanding of data analysis, exploration, statistics, and general system design.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top