Software Engineer - Infrastructure, Self-Driving
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
We are seeking Infrastructure Software Engineers with independent problem solving skills and a high level of technical curiosity. Our technical challenges are unique; you will need to be comfortable working in uncharted territory, and excited to build systems that can support cities of 100,000 and 10 million people alike.
What You'll Do
You will help build out the software systems and platforms that power our fleet of self-driving vehicles. These platforms include software systems operating onboard the vehicle, large-scale offboard distributed systems supporting the vehicle, and data processing systems operating within datacenters distributed globally.
What You'll Need
- Minimum 3 years industry experience
- BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related discipline
- Strong general Linux experience
- Strong coding skills in C, C++ or Python
- Familiarity with open source software development tools and frameworks
Bonus Points If
- Experience with building web-scale distributed systems, common open source components supporting such systems.
- Experience with containerized software development and deployment systems, storage frameworks and scheduling systems.
- Superior skills in triaging, isolating, documenting, and tracking issues systematically.
- Ability to analyze test results and build, use and configure automated reporting systems.
- Experience with ROS and/or ground robotics systems.
- Excellent communication skills especially with diverse groups of team members including technicians, software and hardware engineers, as well as managers and executives.
About the Team
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Phoenix, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
The Onboard Integration team is responsible for developing the core APIs and libraries and for each self-driving platform so that our teams can develop on top of it in a seamless and scalable way.
Back to top