Software Engineer - Infrastructure, Self-Driving
At the ATG, we are ambitious, engaged and excited about transforming the way the world moves. With locations in San Francisco and Pittsburgh, the Advanced Technologies Group is comprised of Uber's self-driving engineering team dedicated to self-driving technologies, mapping, and vehicle safety. Our bi-coastal teams are passionate about developing long-term technologies that advance Uber's mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere.
Our work doesn't end with transporting people. We are also developing self-driving truck technology to move goods more safely and cost effectively around the world. We are working to make the process of moving people and goods safer and more efficient.
We are seeking Software Engineers working on Large-Scale Distributed Systems with independent problem solving skills and a high level of technical curiosity. Our organizational challenges are unique, so you should be comfortable in uncharted territory and pumped to build systems that can support cities of 100,000 and 10 million people alike. Do you enjoy field testing? Are you willing to put in lots of energy to help bring new technologies from prototype to production? If so, then keep reading.
What you'll need
- Fast learner. We're looking for software engineers who thrive on learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the needs of our massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment.
- Action. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You thrive on the belief that quality doesn't have to be compromised to achieve speed - you can have both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code "released" until you're sure it's correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, excellent documentation, and proper test coverage.
- Team player mentality. You believe that you can achieve more on a team - that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. Whether you're working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool consumed by our operation teams, or a feature used by millions of customers, your attention to details leads to a delightful user experience.
Bonus points if
- Strong Linux background - have used Linux daily and are comfortable using it as your primary environment.
- Comfortable with reading and developing production quality software with C++ and Python.
- Familiarity with sensing equipment, such as LIDAR, radar, or cameras.
- Excellent skills in triaging, isolating, documenting, and tracking issues systematically.
- Ability to analyze test results and build, use and configure automated reporting systems.
- Experience with ROS and/or ground robotics systems.
- Excellent communication skills especially with diverse groups of team members including technicians, software and hardware engineers, as well as managers and executives.
- Desire to take initiative and provide leadership with composure.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, ten paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top