Software Engineer - Infrastructure
Uber’s Core Infrastructure team is seeking experienced software engineers to help build the future of urban transportation. Sound interesting? Read on.
Our job is to keep the engine running. We’ve built the foundation of a highly cohesive, loosely coupled service-oriented architecture that’s going to propel us into the next 10×-100x growth levels – which will come pretty soon, considering that we’re doubling in size every six months. What’s next is to build new services on top of this groundwork and transition existing platforms to it. We’re eradicating most of our vanilla single-master-multiple-slave topologies, splitting data processing pipelines up to work in multiple hot datacenters and rethinking queueing systems that now handle hundreds of millions of jobs. Peak load is still a stressful time for us, but we’re hard at work building the next generation platform that will scale with grace.
The Core Infrastructure team is building systems for consumption by all the other engineering teams at Uber. We’re setting best practices and helping other teams architect better solutions, and we’re not afraid to get our hands dirty. We might write a data store from scratch, tack a new logical solution on top of an existing one, split up a monolithic codebase or just optimize some SQL queries – we’re going to go in where we’re needed most and ensure that Uber is reliable, durable and scaleable.
HERE ARE THE KINDS OF SKILLS WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Folks who understand computers and what happens when a lot of them get together in a room.
- We’re building cross-datacenter, multi-master systems. We need engineers who think about monitoring, fault-tolerance, durability and scalability.
- Experience with code optimization and run-time analysis. Do you dream of strace output? Please join us.
- Knowledge of data structures and an eye for architecture. Do you know where to use a red-black tree and where to use a hashtable? Let’s talk.
- Beyond being able to use a database, do you know how they work? Do you care? We do.
- Our core language is Python. Familiarity is preferred but not at all required as long as learning Python doesn’t scare you.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top