Software Engineer - Infrastructure
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
What you'll do:
Uber's Advanced Technologies Maps Engineering Team is helping create the next generation of mapping and sensing technologies. The work we do is directly impacting Uber's mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. Our team is comprised of world-class engineers with decades of software development and geospatial experience. We're looking for exceptional engineers who can work faster and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence.
The Maps Infrastructure Platform Team is seeking experienced software engineers to help create the future of urban transportation. We are developing a large scale, distributed processing and storage system to support Uber's Maps operations. Our vision is to make map processing at Uber the industry leader in efficiency. We leverage existing, tested open source technologies (such as Mesos, Aurora, Spark, HDFS, Cassandra) as the base of this system. We then add on top all of the Uber-specific magic that is needed to deliver a full-featured mapping infrastructure.
What you'll need:
- An excellent engineering background with deep computer science fundamentals
- An understanding of large-scale, high-availability distributed systems (think thousands of cores, and hundreds of petabytes)
- We span languages here: deep software development experience in either Python or Java is required. Go and/or Scala experience a plus
- Excellent Linux skills
- Hands-on experience with open source distributed application technologies (e.g. Mesos, Aurora, Spark, HDFS, Cassandra, etc.)
- Creative thinker who can create magic with and on top of our platform
- A demonstrated record of being a self-starter, willing to take chances and make smart bold bets, show great resourcefulness and speed, all while keeping a positive, winning attitude
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top