Software Engineer - Full Stack, Self-Driving
Uber Advanced Technologies Group (ATG) is the R&D hub of Uber's engineering team dedicated to self-driving technologies, mapping, and vehicle safety. This team is responsible for developing long-term technologies that advance Uber's mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. We are ambitious, engaged and excited about transforming the way the world moves. Our research will make the process of moving real assets and real people safer and more efficient now, and in the decades to come.
Do you believe that great tools can make a team great? Do you revel in finding the missing gaps in an organization and filling them with software? Do you want to work with an incredibly smart engineering organization, and set it up for success? We're building our team from the bottom up, and we strongly believe that a great team can get even better if everybody has the right tools at his or her disposal — that's where you come in.
We're searching for strong, friendly, flexible, and seasoned engineers to expand our team. The ideal candidate will have experience building full stack web applications — everything from back-ends in Python to web front-ends using React and Redux. You have a passion for talking to customers, figuring out their real needs, and iterating quickly. Your job is to figure out what tools are needed to make the organization even more productive, build them, deploy them, introduce them to the team, and then go build the next one. This role will be measured by how productive our entire organization is.
Here are the kinds of skills we're looking for:
- Bonus Skills. If you happen to have skills in the following areas, we can use these as well: WebGL, SVG, Docker, AWS, ECMAScript, Flask, Redis, relational or NoSQL databases
- Fast learner. We're looking for software engineers who thrive on learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the needs of our massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment.
- Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of the whole web stack, you understand how all the pieces fit together (front-end, database, network layer, etc.) and how they impact the performance of your application.
- Strong architecture chops. You know how to build highly scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant services that support our unique rate-of-growth requirements. You stay up-to-date with the latest architectural trends.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code "released" until you're confident it's correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word. Whether you're working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool consumed by our operation teams, or a feature used by millions of riders, your attention to details leads to a delightful user experience.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top