Software Engineer - Full Stack
At Uber, we believe that by solving some of the biggest problems of our time, we can create a future where there is limitless freedom of movement for people and things all across the world. Just talk to our people — and feel their passion, optimism and curiosity for building solutions every single day on behalf of drivers, riders, couriers, eaters and employees.
While these tough problems we face every day can be incredibly difficult to figure out, we believe those same problems enable us to personally grow the most. So we welcome people from all backgrounds who have the passion to change the world and also want to help create a supportive and collaborative environment. So that ultimately, we can learn together, solve together, build together, and move the world forward together.
Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For our drivers and couriers, the Uber app represents a flexible way to earn money. For cities and communities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer. And we're thinking about the future, too with teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving vehicles.
It's tempting to want to join a company that looks like it has it all figured out. But those companies aren't always the best place to learn. The truth is, the more problems a company has, the more opportunities there are to solve. And the more problems you solve, the more you learn. And the more you learn, the more you grow.
We need your skills and passion to help make it happen! Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
As a Full-Stack Engineer at Uber, you'll be working on code from the deepest levels of our stack to very top. You'll be working on creating dynamic pixel-perfect web UIs while simultaneously solving scalability problems and scaling complex business logic. Your work will impact live riders, eaters, driver-partners, and operations teams across the globe. Our teams span from the traditional ridesharing business to the new emerging products around UberEATS, our own Mapping technology, and Self-Driving cars.
You will build user-facing products, handle and store thousands of payment transactions per second, and develop intelligent fraud prevention strategies that scale. From building maps that help move millions of people, to the messaging systems that let us interact with them - the work you do will impact every single Uber request.
- Experience with developing complex software systems scaling to millions of users with production quality deployment, monitoring and reliability.
- Experience with large-scale distributed storage and database systems (SQL or NoSQL, e.g. MySQL, Cassandra)
- Ability to decompose complex business problems and lead a team in solving them
Bonus points if
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science or a related field
- We love React - so knowledge there is a plus.
Team-specific focus areas
Additionally, Uber has a variety of roles and teams for you depending on where your interests match best.
- High performance systems - Experience with building high performance distributed systems that can scale to 100,000s QPS.
- Core Infrastructure - Experience with developing and running large scale distributed storage systems, service oriented architectures, and reliable monitoring and deployment infrastructure.
- Data Processing - experience with building and maintaining large scale and/or real-time complex data processing pipelines using Kafka, Hadoop, Hive, Storm, and Zookeeper
- Machine Learning - experience with machine learning, information retrieval, algorithmic complexity, data mining, pricing, optimization.
- Geospatial - Familiarity with geospatial datasets and services, such as maps, local search, points of interest and business listings data, mobile device location and GPS traces.
Back to top