Software Engineer - Data Visualization
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it. For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
We are looking for skilled software engineers with 3+ Years of experience to work on various internal and external facing projects here at Uber. As an engineer on the Visualization Team, you'll be embedded into a team developing data products to visualize business, geospatial, machine learning, experimentation and self-driving car data. We work in collaboration with multiple groups including Maps, Marketplace, Business Platform, Advanced Technology Group, Product Insights and Rollouts, Risk and Safety, Communications and Policy to provide visual exploratory data analysis tools to help us better understand our data and make our critical workflows more efficient.
What you'll do
- Develop data products and advanced user interfaces for data producers and consumers across the company.
- Collaborate on defining user interfaces that work effectively for customers ranging from general managers, operations, security investigators, autonomy engineers, data scientists and execs.
- Visualize information for machine learning, geospatial, business, self-driving car data and other verticals.
- Develop components and frameworks for 3D rendering, UI / front-end and visualization engineering.
What You'll Need
- Master's degree in CS or equivalent experience.
- At least 3+ years of experience in the industry working with client-side technologies.
- You're excited to fully own a data product experience, from developing novel visualization techniques to testing and ensuring robustness of the application.
- Eager to learn and get better at what you do, understanding that team work is how we get there.
Bonus Points If
- You're passionate about information design, and have read literature ranging from Tufte to Tamara Munzner.
- You're passionate about computer graphics, have worked extensively with (raw) WebGL and other graphics technologies like OpenGL, Vulkan, Metal, etc.
- You're passionate about Information Visualization (the field), you know what preattentive processing or Myriahedral Projections are.
- You've developed your own framework(s).
About the Team
The Visualization Team at Uber develops data products to visualize business, geospatial, machine learning, experimentation and self-driving car data. We work in collaboration with multiple groups including Maps, Marketplace, Business Platform, Advanced Technology Group, Product Insights and Rollouts, Risk and Safety, Communications and Policy to provide visual exploratory data analysis tools to help us better understand our data and make our critical workflows more efficient.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need your skills and passion to help make it happen!
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Back to top