Software Engineer, Customer Platform-Full Stack (Palo Alto)
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Uber is growing and scaling extremely rapidly and we are looking for an experienced Senior Search Engineer/Tech Lead/Architect to join and help design and build Uber's new robust and highly scalable business search platform that powers Uber globally covering a wide spectrum -
from operations to numerous business verticals.
We are building complex queries with very large volume data pipelines and analytics applications solving for relevancy and data mining problems. We're looking for passionate engineers to join us and tackle tough challenges in algorithm, data, integration and scalability with machine learning models and algorithm. We want to delight our users with highly relevant and data rich results. We will embed search in every app and make it omnipresent.
Customer 2.0 (t.uber.com/customer2.0) is an ambitious initiative to tremendously simplify the work of building new products and businesses by removing the limitation of legacy data model.
For traditional ridesharing business, the data model centered around RDP (rider, driver and partner) is a natural fit. However, this data model is extremely cumbersome to use in new businesses such as U4B, UberEats, Fleet, Freight, … The root cause is
- the lack of organization entity as 1st-class citizen
- restriction causing a driver to be limited to one product
We aim to eliminate these limitations by building a Customer Platform integrated with business workflows and program teams. This platform will support a much more flexible and future-proof data model.
This initiative is a high priority for the larger Business Platform organization.
As a member of the initiative, you will be solving open-ended problems in an uncharted territory. You will be accountable for the design and implementation of a well-defined project in the initiative. You will collaborate with external teams to achieve the result.
Here are example projects out of a large list:
- Integrate new data model with a program team and a horizontal platform to address an end-to-end use case (e.g., UberEats' restaurant communication flow). You will demonstrate strong design skills and communication skills in a multi-way collaboration.
- Build a framework to expose generic interfaces to horizontal platforms (e.g., a LoginView for the Identity platform to allow a person with permission to log in and manage an organization). You will demonstrate skills in horizontal foundational work and thorough understanding of Uber's technical stack.
You will be working with a small but highly motivated team, where all engineers collaborate to achieve a common goal, and yet each has a clear focus area.
Sr. Eng level is preferred; but if you are Eng II and are looking to accelerate your growth by working on highly visible and highly challenging technical problems, please definitely apply!
What you'll need
- At least 5 years minimum of relevant industry experience in software development.
- Ability to learn on the go. We're looking for software engineers who thrive on learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the needs of our massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment. You have advanced knowledge of at least one language (e.g. Python, Go, Java, etc.) and knowledge of or eagerness to learn: MySQL, Cassandra, Redis, Kafka, and ElasticSearch.
- Boldness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You thrive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Large scale distributed systems experience preferred.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of the whole web stack, you understand how all the pieces fit together (front-end, database, network layer, etc.) and how they impact the performance of your application.
- Deep architecture skills. You know how to create highly scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant services that support our unique rate-of-growth requirements. You stay up-to-date with the latest architectural trends.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code "released" until you're satisfied it's correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, thorough documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team - that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. Whether you're working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool consumed by our operation teams, or a feature used by millions of customers, your attention to details results in a delightful user experience.
We're making transportation as reliable as running water for everyone, everywhere. We need your brains and passion to make that vision a reality!
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month! (Along with reduced pricing overall.)
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- We keep you well fed and hydrated through your day with full kitchens, catered lunches and dinners, ice cream in the freezers, and surprising things on tap such as iced coffee and kombucha.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, cell phone reimbursement.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs. (Anthem options and Kaiser in California.)
- Pre-tax commuter benefits accounts (parking/transit).
- Paternity and maternity Leave; 1 week paid jury duty.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it. Nine paid company holidays.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top