Software Engineer, Customer Platform-Full Stack (Palo Alto)
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
As a member of the Core Services (Customer Platform) team, you will be responsible for developing core business platforms and reusable service components to improve productivity and availability across Uber's business tier, and Ops products to make UBER an industry leading example of Operational Excellence. These core platforms (i.e. User, Product, Trip, Cohorting, Searching, etc.) serve as the essential backbone to fuel the most dynamic and fastest growing startup in the world, Uber. If you are passionate about designing and building extremely reliable, highly scalable, and performant multi-tenant services that never fail, this is right group for you
What You'll Do
As a member of the initiative, you will be solving open-ended problems in an uncharted territory. You will be accountable for the design and implementation of a well-defined project in the initiative.
Here are example projects out of a large list:
- Integrate new data model with a program team and a horizontal platform to address an end-to-end use case (e.g., UberEats' restaurant communication flow). You will demonstrate strong design skills and communication skills in a multi-way collaboration.
- Build a framework to expose generic interfaces to horizontal platforms (e.g., a LoginView for the Identity platform to allow a person with permission to log in and manage an organization). You will demonstrate skills in horizontal foundational work and thorough understanding of Uber's technical stack.
- You will be working with a small but highly motivated team, where all engineers collaborate to achieve a common goal, and yet each has a clear focus area.
What You'll Need
- At least 5 years minimum of relevant industry experience in software development.
- Ability to learn on the go. We're looking for software engineers who thrive on learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the needs of our massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment. You have advanced knowledge of at least one language (e.g. Python, Go, Java, etc.) and knowledge of or eagerness to learn: MySQL, Cassandra, Redis, Kafka, and ElasticSearch.
- Large scale distributed systems experience preferred.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of the whole web stack, you understand how all the pieces fit together (front-end, database, network layer, etc.) and how they impact the performance of your application.
- Deep architecture skills. You know how to create highly scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant services that support our unique rate-of-growth requirements. You stay up-to-date with the latest architectural trends.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team - that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. Whether you're working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool consumed by our operation teams, or a feature used by millions of customers, your attention to details results in a delightful user experience.
About the Team
The Customer Platform team is growing and scaling extremely rapidly and we are looking for an experienced Senior Search Engineer/Tech Lead/Architect to join and help design and build Uber's new robust and highly scalable business search platform that powers Uber globally covering a wide spectrum -
from operations to numerous business verticals.
We are building complex queries with very large volume data pipelines and analytics applications solving for relevancy and data mining problems. We're looking for passionate engineers to join us and tackle tough challenges in algorithm, data, integration and scalability with machine learning models and algorithm. We want to delight our users with highly relevant and data rich results. We will embed search in every app and make it omnipresent.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top