Software Engineer - Core Services, Platforms (Palo Alto)
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Uber Engineering is a high-performance culture marked by boldness and an appetite for production. We're looking for team players with excellent product intuition who can work harder, faster, and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence. Our organizational challenges are unique, so you should be comfortable in uncharted territory and excited to create systems that can support cities of 100,000 and 10 million people alike.
As a member of the Core Services team, you will be responsible for developing core business platforms and reusable service components to improve productivity and availability across Uber's business tier, and Ops products to make UBER an industry leading example of Operational Excellence. These core platforms (i.e. User, Product, Group, Trip, Cohorting, Searching, etc.) serve as the essential backbone to fuel the most dynamic and fastest growing startup in the world, Uber. If you are passionate about designing & building extremely reliable, highly scalable, and performant multi-tenant services that never fail, this is right group for you.
What you'll do
- Work with global scale data; grow and create distributed systems from scratch with very high concurrency.
What you'll need
- At least 5 years minimum of relevant industry experience in software development.
- Ability to learn on the go. We're looking for software engineers who thrive on learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the needs of our massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment. You have advanced knowledge of at least one language (e.g. Python, Go, Java, etc.) and knowledge of or eagerness to learn: MySQL, Cassandra, Redis, Kafka, and ElasticSearch.
- Boldness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You thrive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Large scale distributed systems experience preferred.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of the whole web stack, you understand how all the pieces fit together (front-end, database, network layer, etc.) and how they impact the performance of your application.
- Deep architecture skills. You know how to create highly scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant services that support our unique rate-of-growth requirements. You stay up-to-date with the latest architectural trends.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code "released" until you're satisfied it's correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, thorough documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team - that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. Whether you're working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool consumed by our operation teams, or a feature used by millions of customers, your attention to details results in a delightful user experience.
We're making transportation as reliable as running water for everyone, everywhere. We need your brains and passion to make that vision a reality!
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top