Software Engineer - Core Services, Platforms
Uber Engineering is a high-performance culture marked by fearlessness and hyperproductivity. We’re looking for team players with natural product intuition who can work harder, faster, and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence. Our organizational challenges are unique, so you should be comfortable in uncharted territory and pumped to build systems that can support cities of 100,000 and 10 million people alike.
As a member of the Core Services team, you will be responsible for building core business platforms and reusable service components to improve productivity and availability across Uber’s business tier, and Ops products to make UBER an industry leading example of Operational Excellence. These core platforms (i.e. User, Product, Trip, Cohorting, Searching, etc.) serve as the essential backbone to power the most dynamic and fastest growing startup in the world, Uber. If you are passionate about designing & building extremely reliable, highly scalable, and performant multi-tenant services that never fail, this is right group for you.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- 5+ years minimum of relevant industry experience in software development.
- Large scale distributed systems experience preferred.
- Fast learner. We’re looking for software engineers who thrive on learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the needs of our massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment. You have advanced knowledge of at least one language (e.g. Python, Go, Java, etc.) and knowledge of or eagerness to learn: MySQL, Cassandra, Redis, Kafka, and ElasticSearch.
- Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of the whole web stack, you understand how all the pieces fit together (front-end, database, network layer, etc.) and how they impact the performance of your application.
- Strong architecture chops. You know how to build highly scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant services that support our unique rate-of-growth requirements. You stay up-to-date with the latest architectural trends.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you’d never call code “released” until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others’ candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word. Whether you’re working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool consumed by our operation teams, or a feature used by millions of customers, your attention to details leads to a delightful user experience.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month! (Along with reduced pricing overall.)
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- We keep you well fed and hydrated through your day with full kitchens, catered lunches and dinners, ice cream in the freezers, and surprising things on tap such as iced coffee and kombucha.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, cell phone reimbursement.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs. (Anthem options and Kaiser in California.)
- Pre-tax commuter benefits accounts (parking/transit).
- Paternity and maternity Leave; 1 week paid jury duty.
- Catered lunches, dinners, and full kitchen for breakfast.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it. Nine paid company holidays.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top