Software Engineer - Computer Vision / Machine Learning for Object Recognition
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 500 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Team:
Uber, Advanced Technologies, Engineering - Imagery is the Louisville, CO division of the Uber Engineering Team: a high-performance culture marked by boldness and achievement. Our work is primarily in the areas of mapping and sensing. Our team is comprised of world-class developers and engineers with decades of experience and we're looking for exceptional engineers who can work faster and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence. We are engaged and excited about completely transforming the transportation industry across the world.
What we're looking for:
- Core Skills. We're looking for outstanding, capable software developers with a range of skills. In particular, experience with Python, C++, Linux, Android and related technologies are a plus.
- Fast learner. We're looking for software engineers who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment. You have advanced knowledge in software development (e.g. Python or C/C++) and knowledge of in the fields of computer vision and/or machine learning.
- Dynamic. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code or design "released" until you're satisfied it's correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, thorough documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team - that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. You understand the bigger picture of how your technical contributions will impact the viability of future products. Whether you're working on a software library used by other developers, building a new datacenter abstraction layer, or sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
Specific skills a plus:
- deep learning and convolutional neural networks
- object recognition and object detection
- big data experience analyzing huge amounts of imagery (hadoop, spark, etc.)
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top