Software Engineer - Backend (Marketplace Dynamics)
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
The Marketplace Dynamics group creates the platform, products, and algorithms responsible for the realtime execution and online optimization of Uber's marketplace. We are developing the brain of Uber, solving NP-hard algorithms and economic optimization problems at scale, in realtime, making all of the decisions for Uber's marketplaces based on up-to-the-second data as well as forecasts of the future. And we're not just talking about designing algorithms - you will also be creating robust production systems to fuel these algorithms from the ground up.
Our group's systems control the dynamics of all of Uber's markets, from our core personal transport business with UberX and UberPool, to Uber's emerging markets such as UberEATS and UberRUSH. We focus on areas like dynamic pricing (surge pricing, upfront pricing), intelligent dispatching (matching algorithms, dispatch paradigms), and supply positioning (optimal positioning of drivers in anticipation of demand patterns). The goal of these systems is to dramatically lower cost & ETAs for riders, increase revenue for driver partners, improve the overall efficiency and utilization of Uber's fleet of supply, and enable products in entirely new marketplaces.
If you're seeking to join a group spanning a diverse skillset across scalable distributed systems, online machine learning, algorithms design, and product, and you want to create and optimize the marketplace dynamics infrastructure to power the planet, then this job is for you.
What you'll need
- Portfolio of successfully shipped software.
- Passion to get things done with a focus on shipping online production systems. Roadblocks don't get in your way - they get you excited to figure out how they can be overcome.
- Deep love of creating elegant, maintainable, well-documented code. Abstracting and refactoring should be a passion, not a chore.
- Motivation to always learn new things and go above and beyond basic responsibilities.
- Excellent communication skills and a collaborative approach to problem-solving. Always working to improve yourself and constructively support and contribute to the team around you.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Experience with machine learning, optimization, and algorithms.
- Deep understanding of data analysis, exploration, statistics, and general system design.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top