Software Engineer - Backend (Marketplace Dynamics)
The Marketplace Dynamics group builds the platform, products, and algorithms responsible for the realtime execution and online optimization of Uber’s marketplace. We are building the brain of Uber, solving NP-hard algorithms and economic optimization problems at scale, in realtime, making all of the decisions for Uber’s marketplaces based on up-to-the-second data as well as forecasts of the future. And we’re not just talking about designing algorithms – you will also be building robust production systems to power these algorithms from the ground up.
Our group’s systems control the dynamics of all of Uber’s markets, from our core personal transport business with UberX and UberPool, to Uber’s emerging markets such as UberEATS and UberRUSH. We focus on areas like dynamic pricing (surge pricing, upfront pricing), intelligent dispatching (matching algorithms, dispatch paradigms), and supply positioning (optimal positioning of drivers in anticipation of demand patterns). The goal of these systems is to dramatically lower cost & ETAs for riders, increase revenue for driver partners, improve the overall efficiency and utilization of Uber’s fleet of supply, and enable products in entirely new marketplaces.
If you’re seeking to join a group spanning a diverse skillset across scalable distributed systems, online machine learning, algorithms design, and product, and you want to build and optimize the marketplace dynamics infrastructure to power the planet, then this job is for you.
- Track record of successfully shipped software.
- Fierceness to get things done with a focus on shipping online production systems. Roadblocks don’t get in your way – they get you excited for the challenge.
- Deep love of building elegant, maintainable, well-documented code. Abstracting and refactoring should be a passion, not a chore.
- Drive to always learn new things and go above and beyond the call of duty.
- Strong communication skills and a collaborative approach to problem-solving. Always working to improve yourself and constructively support the team around you.
- If you have excellent attention to detail.
- Have experience with machine learning, optimization, and algorithms.
- Deep understanding of data analysis, exploration, statistics, and general system design.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top