Software Engineer - Backend (Communications Group)
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Here at Uber our mission is to make transportation as reliable as running water. Uber served its 2 billionth trip in June 2016 and we are currently making investments into the systems and infrastructure necessary to support 100+ million trips per day. Key to this strategy is operational excellence through exceptional tooling, intelligent technology systems and a bias towards machines making decisions.
We are the set of teams creating tooling and infrastructure to communicate with our customers across all phases of their lifecycle. The Ad-tech and Content teams leverage best-in-class machine learning techniques to drive sign-ups and maximize the effectiveness of billion dollar advertising budgets. The Customer Obsession team creates holistic, integrated customer support tooling to ensure that the 10 million trips taken on our platform each day are perfect. The Core Communication team builds the pipes that funnel the billions of email, sms and push notifications that are sent out to our customers each month.
If you are the type of engineer who loves creating high leverage systems that push the limits of efficiency and effectiveness, we'd love to chat with you.
What you'll need
- Ability to learn on the go. We're looking for software engineers who thrive on learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt to meet the needs of our massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment.
- Boldness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You thrive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of the whole web stack, you understand how all the pieces fit together (front-end, database, network layer, etc.) and how they impact the performance of your application.
- Deep architecture skills. You know how to build highly scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant services that support our unique rate-of-growth requirements. You stay up-to-date with the latest architectural trends.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code "released" until you're satisfied it's correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player attitude. You believe that you can achieve more on a team - that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. Whether you're working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool consumed by our operation teams, or a feature used by millions of customers, your attention to details results in a delightful user experience.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top