Software Engineer - Backend (Communications Group)
Here at Uber our mission is to make transportation as reliable as running water. Uber served its 2 billionth trip in June 2016 and we are currently making investments into the systems and infrastructure necessary to support 100+ million trips per day. Key to this strategy is operational excellence through best in class tooling, intelligent technology systems and a bias towards machines making decisions.
We are the set of teams creating tooling and infrastructure to communicate with our customers across all phases of their lifecycle. The Ad-tech and Content teams leverage best-in-class machine learning techniques to drive sign-ups and maximize the effectiveness of billion dollar advertising budgets. The Customer Obsession team creates holistic, integrated customer support tooling to ensure that the 10 million trips taken on our platform each day are perfect. The Core Communication team builds the pipes that power the billions of email, sms and push notifications that are sent out to our customers each month.
If you are the type of engineer who loves creating high leverage systems that maximize efficiency and effectiveness, we’d love to chat with you.
HERE ARE THE KINDS OF SKILLS WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Fast learner. We’re looking for software engineers who thrive on learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the needs of our massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment.
- Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of the whole web stack, you understand how all the pieces fit together (front-end, database, network layer, etc.) and how they impact the performance of your application.
- Strong architecture chops. You know how to build highly scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant services that support our unique rate-of-growth requirements. You stay up-to-date with the latest architectural trends.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you’d never call code “released” until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others’ candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word. Whether you’re working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool consumed by our operation teams, or a feature used by millions of customers, your attention to details leads to a delightful user experience.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
At Uber we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top