Software Engineer - Backend (Business Platform- Seattle)
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 500 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
The Business Platform teams operates at the critical intersection of product and infrastructure, building technology to accelerate the fastest-growing company in history.
As a member of the Business Platform team, you will be responsible for developing core platforms, distributed services, customer insights powered by data mining & ML techniques to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of our products and operations. These serve as the essential backbone to fuel the Uber business. If you are passionate about designing and building extremely reliable, highly scalable, and performant multi-tenant services that never fail, this is right group for you.
The Customer Connections team within Business Platform is building platform & services to provide Uber Integrated and personalized CRM experience that empowers sales team to proactively engage with customers across their full life cycle. Our flagship product, uConnect, supported by machine learning technologies is powering the sales experience and is leveraged by thousands of agents to bring in new customers to the Uber.
Business Process Automation Platform:
The Business Process Automation Platform is building platform & services to automate the key business processes at Uber. Its flagship product, Autobots, is an unified platform to run critical business processes at Uber, including driver/rider communications, engagement and quality control, with easy authoring and comprehensive insights across entire Uber. It executes tens of thousands processes, processes tens of thousands events per seconds and affects tens of millions of users per day.
We are looking for skilled back-end engineers with a passion for building highly scalable services and real time data pipelines.
What you'll do
As a backend engineer on the Business Platform team you will be working on code that's closest to business. You will build platforms, distributed services, apply ML techniques which is going to be leveraged by thousands of Operations & Engineers to keeping Uber business running. We need people who are passionate about developing scalable services & tools using up-to-date technologies and patterns.
What you'll need
- BS/MS/Phd in Computer Science or related field
- Expertise in one or more object oriented programming language (e.g. Python, Go, Java, C++) and the eagerness to learn more
- Software design and data modelling: understanding of design patterns and architecture
- Experience with developing complex software systems scaling to millions of users with production quality deployment, monitoring and reliability.
- Experience with large-scale distributed storage and database systems (SQL or NoSQL, e.g. MySQL, Cassandra)
- Data Processing - experience with building and maintaining large scale and/or real-time complex data processing pipelines using Kafka, Hadoop, Hive, Storm, and Zookeeper is preferred.
- Machine Learning - experience with machine learning, natural language processing, information retrieval, algorithmic complexity, predictive modeling is a plus.
- Understanding of testing environments.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top