Software Engineer - AV Maps
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
As a Software Engineer on our A Maps team you will be building out powerful web based tools and applications that will enable our self-driving vehicles to see. This is an incredible opportunity to work cross functionally across our autonomy and operations group and own a critical piece in the development of our self-driving technology.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
- Create web focused tools that will enable teams to rely less on heavy desktop applicatons
- Work collaboratively with production groups to create tracing and road boundary tools
What You'll Need
- Experience in full-stack development using Web technologies such as React/Redux to build reusable components that fit together in scalable production applications.
- Strong sense of web UX, with experience building intuitive interfaces that present data in compelling ways.
- Minimum three years programming experience in Java or an equivalent object-oriented language.
- Deep knowledge of data structure and algorithm fundamentals and how to apply them in real-world applications.
- Strong algorithmic and analytical skills
- Design and development experience building and using REST API services.
- Experience selecting SQL and NoSQL solutions for Web infrastructure and a keen awareness of the strengths and weaknesses of each when designing solutions.
- MS in computer science preferred but not required.
Bonus Points If
- Pevious experience developing bespoke applications for data entry, data visualization and manipulation
- Experience with MapReduce or distributed processing.
- Experience with geospatial datasets and services, such as maps, local search, points of interest and business listings data, mobile device location and GPS traces.
- Familiarity with information retrieval, data integration or machine learning
About the Team
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Phoenix, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
The AV Maps is responsible for creating mapping and visualization tools that enable our self driving vehicles to see.
Back to top