Software Engineer - Analytics (Marketplace Dynamics)
Uber’s Marketplace is the network of drivers transporting people, pets, food and packages. It is responsible for fulfilling requests from riders while striving to maximize driver utilization and minimize the cost of transportation.
What you’ll be doing:
- You will work with a team of talented engineers to build a highly scalable, fault tolerant, and responsive services around streaming events to meet Uber’s most pressing data analytics needs.
- You get to work alongside data processing engineers by providing web services that provide solutions around data collection, aggregation and indexing, analytics including predictions, visualization, and querying.
- You will be a liaison to other teams, in particular to data scientists and business infrastructure teams, to make sure your system is adaptive and easily extends to new business demands.
- You get to experiment, productize, and contribute to open source technologies when building your systems
What we’re looking for:
- You intend to go deep on a subject and enjoy learning whatever necessary to get job done.
- You love coding, debugging and attacking hard problems.
- You have a strong engineering background, and ideally have built real distributed systems.
- We use Java and JVM languages primarily, but familiarity with Python, Go or Node.js is a huge plus.
- You’re a great communicator, and you follow things through — you could be interacting with every other product development team within Uber.
Bonus points if you:
- Are familiar with either stream processing pipelines such as Kafka, Apache Storm, Apache Samza or Apache Spark.
- Are familiar with interactive data visualization techniques for big data.
- You have good understanding of distributed systems, in theory and in practice.
- Are familiar with products such as R, IPython, Octave, Matlab etc.
- Are familiar with orchestration and workflow management products such as Mesos, YARN, Airflow (AirBnB) etc.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top