Software Engineer - Analytics (Marketplace Dynamics)
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Uber's Marketplace is the network of drivers transporting people, pets, food and packages. It is responsible for fulfilling requests from riders while striving to maximize driver utilization and minimize the cost of transportation.
What you'll do
- You will work with a team of highly skilled engineers to create a highly scalable, fault tolerant, and responsive services around streaming events to meet Uber's most pressing data analytics needs.
- You get to work together with data processing engineers by providing web services that provide solutions around data collection, aggregation and indexing, analytics including predictions, visualization, and querying.
- You will be a liaison to other teams, in particular to data scientists and business infrastructure teams, to make sure your system is adaptive and easily extends to new business demands.
- You get to experiment, productize, and contribute to open source technologies when developing your systems
- Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
What you'll need
- Ability to go deep on a subject and enjoy learning whatever necessary to get the job done.
- Excellent engineering background, and ideally have built and understand real distributed systems.
- Java and JVM languages; familiarity with Python, Go or Node.js is a huge plus.
- A love for coding, debugging and attacking hard problems.
- You're a great communicator, and you follow things through -- you could be interacting with every other product development team within Uber.
- Familiarity with either stream processing pipelines such as Kafka, Apache Storm, Apache Samza or Apache Spark.
- Familiarity with interactive data visualization techniques for big data.
- Familiarity with products such as R, IPython, Octave, Matlab etc.
- Familiarity with orchestration and workflow management products such as Mesos, YARN, Airflow (AirBnB) etc.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top