Software Engineer 2- Android
The India growth team is obsessed with one question – How do we make Uber the best transportation platform in India? This position is based in Bangalore and is about working on complex/large scale systems including India growth roadmap such as rider experience, driver experience, payment methods, maps, integration with partners, and basically removing all barriers from getting drivers and riders onto the Uber platform in India. The team works closely with our operations teams in India and the Product-Engineering teams for India Growth based in San Francisco.
India is one of the fastest growing markets in Uber's history and with a population of 1.2 billion, the opportunity is enormous. In less than two years, Uber has expanded across India to over 25 diverse cities, from Bangalore to Bhubaneswar and Kolkata to Kochi – with hundreds of more cities ahead of us, we're just getting started. Building a product that scales while considering the regional and cultural differences of an emerging market is a unique challenge. In just the last few months, our team has launched high-impact features like cash payments, safety improvements, driver vehicle solutions automation and several partner integrations. Millions of people from around the world have downloaded the Uber Android application and our numbers continue to grow rapidly. While our global reach is impressive, it's just the tip of the iceberg as we are prepared to take things to the next level with a small, but phenomenally talented team of Android Engineers in India. To be clear, we aren't just developing an app; we are building an Android solution from the ground up. You will have the opportunity to own new features from day one, work on brand new Android functionality thanks to strategic partnerships, contribute to the design process, and build an Android experience that is second to none.
Are you up for the challenge?
HERE ARE THE SKILLS WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- 4+ yrs Experience developing, releasing, and maintaining native Java Applications (point us to your apps on Google Play).
- Deep understanding of the Android SDK.
- Prior experience shipping Android Apps for consumers
- Crazy stories about supporting multiple Android devices
You also need experience collaborating on software projects. Cowboy coding is fun, but you have to prove that you can work efficiently as part of a team.
BONUS POINTS IF YOU HAVE:
- Insightful opinions about developing for mobile
- A github account with some cool projects in it
- Scarily amazing debugging skills
- Experience developing location aware mobile applications
- Experience developing testing suites for mobile applications
- Employees are given Free and Discouted Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top