Site Reliability Engineering Manager, Self-Driving (Pittsburgh)
The Uber Advanced Technology Group is the Pittsburgh division of the elite Uber Engineering Team, pushing innovation boundaries far beyond the next level. With the mission of bringing safe and reliable transportation to everyone, Uber ATG drives groundbreaking research focused on mapping, vehicle safety and autonomy. Our team is comprised of world-renowned researchers with decades of experience and we’re growing our team of superstar engineers who drive technical excellence everyday.
We are looking for leaders who will guide us through this historic phase, helping their teams to deliver on principles of robust distributed systems, while enhancing engineering productivity and maintaining operational simplicity. ATG provides the challenge of bringing reliability engineering to products and processes that do not fit the conventional model of service frameworks seen elsewhere in the industry. This requires thinking out of the box to build software engineering models that scale up with reliability, performance and efficiency goals.
You will be helping to build, mentor and grow your team, while being a force multiplier in their efforts to achieve reliability goals for the organization. Your team will have a healthy mix of both software and system engineering skills, while maintaining a strong focus on: attaining cent percent uptime, ability to scale with ease, minimizing latencies and maximizing efficiencies.
- Provide leadership for a team of engineers who own the reliability goals of uptime, scalability and performance.
- Recruit, hire and close candidates to build your team with the right talent & diversity.
- Develop a team mission, roadmap, clear objectives and milestones to motivate and ensure accountability for delivery on the business’ needs.
- Support personal and career development of your team through active coaching, mentoring and aligning opportunities with skillsets.
- Build trust & alignment across teams to collaborate effectively across teams and partners to achieve Uber’s goals.
- Drive excellence for reliability through maintenance of aggressive SLAs, efficient process, relentless automation, engineering reliability back into applications and maximizing performance.
- Dive deep into availability, performance and scalability issues/outages for services and provide technical leadership for immediate and proactive resolutions.
- Architect, review, develop and deliver applications to improve availability, scalability, performance and efficiency of Uber services.
- Manage on-call rotations and provide inputs to your team and partners to sustain SLAs.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical discipline. Equivalent practical experience is a reasonable substitute.
- Experience with managing multiple teams or a team of at least 5-8 engineers
- Experience with Unix/Linux environments with a strong grasp on system internals
- Worked on large-scale distributed systems including multi-tiered architecture
- Demonstrable knowledge of TCP/IP, HTTP, application security, monitoring and storage
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top