Site Reliability Engineer, Self-Driving
Uber ATG is the Pittsburgh R&D hub of Uber’s engineering team dedicated to self-driving technologies, mapping, and vehicle safety. This team is responsible for developing long-term technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. We are ambitious, engaged and excited about transforming the way the world moves. Our work will make the process of moving real assets and real people safer and more efficient now, and in the decades to come.
We’re searching for great site reliability engineers to join our Offboard Infrastructure engineering team. We are responsible for building the software infrastructure and tools that underlies our datacenters and applications, powers the decisions of the machine learning software, and serves up all the key data pipelines and key data models. Our software is fundamental to our success and every engineer at the ATG depends on it. We need systems and data engineers who are looking at making a direct and immediate impact on a world class engineering organization.
You will be part of a team of engineers with a healthy mix of systems and software engineering skills, executing on large-scale infrastructure projects in a fast paced environment, ensuring that software services that touch the physical world are always available and performant under exponential growth conditions.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Work closely with all teams, spanning the range from machine learning teams, to datacenter teams, to sensor teams, to understand needs, distill requests, come up with plans, get buy-in, and write software in our Pittsburgh office.
- Write software and tooling for processing peta-scale datasets.
- Provide supporting infrastructure to other teams so we can write code affecting the real world.
- Work with other elite engineers who will challenge and push you to your best.
Here are the experience we’re looking for:
- BS in Computer Science or a related field. A MS or equivalent is preferred.
- Programming skills in at least one of Python, C, C++, or Java.
- 2+ years or equivalent experience, 5+ for senior engineers.
- A strong background in Linux software development.
- Experience working with Mesos is a plus!
- Working experience with web-scale deployment tooling (Chef, Puppet, Ansible, etc).
- Knowledge of containerization (Docker) and web services frameworks.
- Strong skills in process, documentation, and change management.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer-facing skills.
Here are the kinds of skills we’re looking for:
- Fast learner. We’re looking for team members who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
- Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you’d never call code or design “released” until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others’ candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products. Whether you’re working on a software library used by other developers, a sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, or a printed circuit to be mass produced, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, paid company holidays and Uber credits.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top