Site Reliability Engineer, Core Metrics
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
About the team
Do you want to bring Uber's infrastructure to the next level? Do you know how to build systems that scale with exponential growth? Then you should join Uber's infrastructure team in NYC.
The Core Observability team is building systems leveraged by every other engineering team at Uber. We're writing a world-class, open-source, end-to-end metrics stack: a scalable distributed time series database, a tag-based query language, and a fleet-wide ingestion pipeline. At Uber, we use this stack to monitor thousands of services that run across tens of thousands of machines, processing hundreds of millions of data points per second.
We're hard at work building this next-generation platform to scale through our next 100x growth phase. You will be part of a team of engineers with a healthy mix of systems and software engineering skills, executing in a fast paced environment. This helps ensure that Uber's software products that touch the physical world are always available and performant under exponential growth conditions.
What you'll do
- Partner with fellow engineers to architect and build mission critical systems that can stand the test of scale and availability, while limiting operational overhead.
- Drive efficiencies in systems and processes: capacity planning, configuration management, performance tuning, monitoring and root cause analysis.
- Participate in a follow-the-sun on-call rotation.
What you'll need
- Drive and a strong feeling of ownership.
- Experience building cross-datacenter, highly-available distributed systems. We need engineers who think about fault-tolerance, durability, and scalability.
- Experience shaving off cycles and bits for optimal performance: profiling and optimizing your code and runtime environment for the hardware that it runs on.
- Good programming skills in one of Go, Python, or C++ and an ability to pick up new languages.
- Expertise with Linux and a good understanding of its fundamentals and internals: filesystems and modern memory management, threads and processes, the user/kernel-space divide, etc.
- Working knowledge of the TCP/IP stack, internet routing and load balancing.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, a related technical discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top