Senior Software Engineer Storage - Data Services (Marketplace Dynamics)
Uber’s Marketplace is the network of drivers transporting people, pets, food and packages. To make our Marketplace system more efficient and more intelligent, we need to extract deep and timely insights from our carefully curated data. We also have to make the insights easily accessible for both people and machines to consume in realtime.
Big data is about volume, variety and velocity. Our business is growing very fast, so is our data volume. Uber’s foray into initiatives such as uberRUSH (package delivery) and uberEATS (food delivery) brings us variety. Our team focuses on building scalable real-time analytics system to provide critical business data, actionable insights and intelligence to aid various Marketplace initiatives such as dynamic pricing, supply positioning, intelligent dispatch and detecting and analysing the Health of our cities.
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead cross-functional initiatives working with multiple product teams.
- You will focus on bringing high impact for a real world business that affects millions of drivers and riders by working alongside product and data science in applications such as dynamic pricing (surge pricing, upfront pricing), intelligent dispatching (matching algorithms), and supply positioning (optimal positioning of drivers in anticipation of demand patterns). The goal of these systems is to dramatically lower cost & ETAs for riders, increase revenue for driver partners, improve the overall efficiency and utilization of Uber’s fleet of supply, and enable products in entirely new marketplaces.
- You get to work with product teams to define important data sets and help driving requirements.
- You get to work on designing and implementing scalable and robust data pipelines that run on top of popular streaming and computing engines like Samza, Spark or Flink.
- You get to own and build a flexible and high-performant persistence solution using ElasticSearch or similar technologies for analytical and realtime use cases within Uber’s Marketplace.
What we’re looking for:
- Ability to think broadly and to build alliances across teams and optimistic in pursuit of the best solution
- You’re a great communicator, and you follow things through — you could be interacting with every other product development team within Uber.
- You are ruthless when it comes to automation and to engineering production systems for reliability and operability.
- You have production experience in working with ElasticSearch at large scale
- You have good understanding of distributed systems, in theory and in practice. For example you intimately know the tradeoffs of different sharding and replication strategies; you can reason about data consistency in a distributed environment; and you know some consensus algorithms and at least tried studying Paxos.
- You will dive into a variety of cutting edge technologies, such as distributed logging as in Apache Kafka, stream processing as in Apache Flink or Apache Samza o Apache Spark, large-scale data processing as in Apache Spark, distributed indexing as in ElasticSearch, distributed aggregation and querying as in Facebook Scuba and Metamarkets Druid, and data intensive real time services built using Java/Scala/Python/Go based frameworks.
- Bonus points if you are a committer in open source indexing/persistence technologies such as Lucene, Solr, ElasticSearch, Druid etc
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top