Senior Software Engineer - Maps Infra
Do you dream about changing the world using your passion for engineering? Are you excited to help move people and things more efficiently around the world? Do you think maps are cool and are passionate about helping make them better? As an Uber team member, you’ll have a direct impact on the innovation of cutting edge technologies. The work you will do will be hugely impactful across the business. The experience you will gain will be unique and unmatched.
Uber’s Advanced Technologies Maps Engineering Team is helping build the next generation of mapping and sensing technologies. The work we do is directly impacting Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. Our team is comprised of world-class engineers with decades of software development and geospatial experience. We’re looking for superstar engineers who can work faster and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence.
The Maps Infrastructure Platform Team is seeking experienced software engineers to help build the future of urban transportation. We are building a large scale, distributed processing and storage system to support Uber’s Maps operations. Our vision is to make map processing at Uber the industry leader in efficiency. We leverage existing, proven open source technologies (such as Mesos, Aurora, Spark, HDFS, Cassandra) as the base of this system. We then add on top all of the Uber-specific magic that is needed to deliver a full-featured mapping infrastructure.
Here are the skills we’re looking for:
- A strong engineering background with solid computer science fundamentals
- An understanding of large-scale, high-availability distributed systems (think thousands of cores, and hundreds of petabytes)
- We span languages here: solid software development experience in either Python or Java is required. Go and/or Scala experience a plus
- Solid Linux skills
- Hands-on experience with open source distributed application technologies (e.g. Mesos, Aurora, Spark, HDFS, Cassandra, etc.)
- Creative thinker who can create magic with and on top of our platform
- A track record of being a self-starter, willing to take risks and make big bold bets, show great hustle, all while keeping a positive, winning attitude
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, paid company holidays and Uber credits.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top