Senior Software Engineer - Maps Data Store
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Uber, Advanced Technologies, Engineering - Imagery is the Louisville, CO division of the Uber Engineering Team: a high-performance culture marked by boldness and achievement. We focus on the development of key technologies that advance Uber's mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. Our work is primarily in the areas of mapping and sensing. Our team is comprised of world-class developers and engineers with decades of experience and we're looking for exceptional engineers who can work faster and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence.
As an Uber ATE team member, you'll have a measureable impact on the innovation of cutting edge technologies. The work you will do will be hugely impactful. The experience you will gain will be unique and unmatched. Do you dream about changing the world using your passion for engineering? Then you should apply to join our team. We are ambitious, engaged and excited about completely transforming the transportation industry across the world.
What we're looking for
- A fast learner. We're looking for team members who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
- Boldness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code or design "released" until you're satisfied it's correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, thorough documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team - that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. You understand the bigger picture of how your technical contributions will impact the viability of future products. Whether you're working on a software library used by other developers, building a new datacenter abstraction layer, or sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
Uber Advanced Technologies, Map Data Store team is dedicated to developing a scalable, geo-replicated database environment that can store and keep track of billions of objects and serve them up to thousands of people and processes via simple and fast web services. We are looking for a highly skilled Senior Software Engineer to help create this data platform that will be the backbone for storing and serving map data inside Uber.
What you'll need
- A deep engineering background with superb computer science fundamentals
- At least 5 years of software development experience in Java and/or Python
- Demonstrated, hands-on experience with distributed databases (e.g. Hbase, Cassandra, Bigtable)
- Deep curiosity to explore new ideas and passion to make them happen
- Demonstrated self-starter, willing to take chances and make smart bold bets, show great resourcefulness and speed, all while keeping a positive, winning attitude
- Steadfast focused execution, great communication skills, and amazing follow-through
- Experience with cloud platforms (e.g. AWS, Azure) and service oriented architecture and know how to build large-scale, performant systems
- Experience in distributed computing in a Linux environment
- Experience in making cross-functional team relationship work well
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top