Senior Software Engineer, Infrastructure - Seattle
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Uber is on the lookout for top-notch Site Reliability Engineers to join our Infrastructure team. This role involves building out systems that delight our quickly growing product engineering teams, enabling the whole engineering org to iterate at top speed in an open, decentralized environment. Systems management and automation is the name of the game here - in development, testing, staging and production. If you love working on software products that touch the physical world and want some serious experience under exponential growth conditions, this is it.
As a member of the Infrastructure group, you'll have free reign over the universe of Uber code, and a license to improve developers' interactions with it wherever you find inefficiencies. You'll be expected to act as an "engineer for the engineers," helping others understand the architectures and platforms underlying their features. You should have a demonstrable ability to debug complicated failures and be able to understand complex systems from their roadmaps all the way down to their syscalls.
What you'll need
- Programming skills. First and foremost, you should be a passable programmer. This role will require the ability to understand others' code and to write your own for some automation tasks. Currently we use Python and Go.
- Operating Systems. Experience in the Linux environment and a good understanding of its fundamentals. If you can create Debian packages in less than 10 minutes, we are excited to meet you. An excellent understanding of filesystems and modern memory management, threads and processes, the user/kernel-space divide, and all those other implementation details that keep the gears turning.
- Configuration management. Puppet, Chef, etc.
- Monitoring tools. Nagios, Graphite, etc.
- Data stores. Experience with a big relational database (MySQL, PostgreSQL) and cache layers (memcached, Redis). You should be able to write some basic SQL statements.
- Networking. Good working knowledge of TCP/IP.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need your skills and passion to help make it happen!
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top