Senior Software Engineer (backend) - Uber Events (Seattle)
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 500 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
Baseball games, concerts, and fireworks displays are fun, but dealing with crowds and transportation can be a nightmare. The Uber Events team is working hard to deliver the predictable, calm experience that Uber is known for - even in these chaotic environments.
It's an incredibly hard problem and we're just getting started. Just some of our challenges: optimizing pick-up/drop-off locations, dynamic event-specific driver routing, efficient use of driver incentives [need enough cars on the road!], and much much more.
This is something no one has done at scale. There's no playbook and no one knows the right answer. The level of ambiguity is high. You'll regularly be balancing deeply technical problems with input from our logistics experts. Come deliver a truly unique Uber experience!
As a backend engineer you'll build the services that power our Events experiences. You'll spend most of your time working with Go, SQL, Cassandra, NodeJS, React and Redux. You'll write scalable code quickly, iteratively, and in a way that's highly informed by data.
- strong background in SOA: resilience, availability, scalability
- knowledge of backend stack (Cassandra or similar, Kafka or similar)
- excellence and depth in at least one programming language
- able to learn new languages and frameworks quickly
- passion for finding creative solutions to 'unsolvable' problems
- team player
- Employees are showered with Uber credits each month.
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top