Senior Manager of Technical Accounting
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it’s heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We’re making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we’re doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber’s positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
The Senior Manager of Technical Accounting will support the technical team to ensure timely and accurate accounting and reporting over a variety of complex areas including revenue recognition, mergers and acquisitions, variable interest entities, leases, equity, hedging, and debt and derivatives. You have great technical research skills, experience dealing with highly judgmental topics, excellent writing skills, and superb attentiveness to details. This role is based in San Francisco and reports to the Director of Technical Accounting.
What you’ll do
- Help the oversight of the global technical accounting team in providing coaching and development of team members.
- Act as a subject matter expert, working with the business and others in the accounting organization to identify, resolve and document complex accounting issues and transactions.
- Lead the evaluation and adoption of accounting standard updates and update and maintain relevant accounting policies
- Assist in the preparation of accounting memos providing documentation of the Company’s application of accounting principles to specific transactions.
- Draft and maintain global accounting policies and memos.
- Partner and coordinate cross-functionally to understand business transactions and effectively communicate accounting issues with various departments throughout the company.
- Be solutions oriented and act as an advisor to key stakeholders on the operational and technical implications of new business transactions
- Critically and thoroughly analyze non-recurring transactions by properly identifying accounting implications of various explicit terms and implied nuances, applying appropriate accounting rules and literature and exercising judgement in subjective areas to draw reasonable and acceptable conclusion
- Participate in the development of a strategy to support the growth of the business and team including prioritization of projects to align with the company’s goals
- Help in preparing support for and managing the year-end financial audit.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual statements of cash flows and assist in preparing the complex financial statement footnotes.
- Supervise the accounting for stock-based compensation transactions as part of the monthly close process.
- Lead periodic technical accounting trainings to the members of the Accounting organization
What you’ll need
- At least 10 years of applicable experience including 3 years of management experience is required, preferably within the technology industry
- Big 4 experience required and CPA certification is a plus
- Oracle R12 experience is a plus
- Excellent technical, analytical, and communication skills, both written and verbal
- The ability to work well in a changing environment and be able to recommend and implement process improvements, work independently and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent knowledge of US GAAP, and proficiency with researching accounting literature including previous experience dealing with technical matters that include complex equity transactions, share based compensation, derivatives, hedging, purchase accounting, and complex real estate and leasing transactions
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top