Senior Manager, Global Payment Risk
We’re looking for a seasoned risk professional to lead Uber’s payment risk team. Uber enables billions of ride around the world every year, it is critical for us to manage the risk associated with the payments. We are pioneering new techniques everyday to detect and counter bad actors all over the world who are constantly adapting and discovering new ways to abuse our platform.
Uber is at the forefront of one of the most exciting marketplace challenges as the world rapidly evolves from desktop to on-demand mobile commerce. Our ability to effectively manage risk in this environment is key to our ongoing success and allows the company to make bold bets while maintaining a delightful and painless user experience. It’s our job to think about this so that our riders and drivers don’t have to.
As the head of payment risk program, you’ll lead a talented team of product manager, engineers, data analysts and data scientists and fully own the business results, optimizing for the balance between risk and experience.
The role demands strong people leadership to manage and lead the cross functional team, a deep technical background in risk management, ideally in the account security space, coupled with strong business intuition and an obsession for customer experience.
You will be responsible to:
- Define the vision and strategy, and set challenging goals for payment risk team
- Interact with a wide group of stakeholders to influence broader company priorities.
- Develop advanced risk capability using rich data and complex machine learning algorithm to accurately detect risk.
- Design effective actions to mitigate payment risk while balancing the frictions for good users.
- Collaborate with external partners and industry experts to build innovative solutions
Here are the kinds of skills we’re looking for:
- A master degree or equivalent in quantitative or engineering disciplines.
- 8+ years of experience in managing financial risk, familiar with payment world.
- Strong leadership with 5+ years of people management experience
- Advanced analytical skills coupled with strong business instincts to “connect the dots”
- A high bar across the board – from your own contributions to the people you work with to the products you work on.
- A “driver” personality – biased toward action, great collaborator and master disambiguator/simplifier – constantly pushing toward clarity and delivery.
- Grittiness. You never hesitate to roll up your sleeves and tackle something hands-on, you persevere when others fall away.
- Finger-tippiness with data: you just go get the data you need with no muss/fuss and can whip it into an insightful story with no help. You know how to leverage data to make decisions without getting stuck in analysis paralysis.
- User-focused – examples from your past of tough product challenges that you powered through because you were unwilling to make your problems your users’ problems.
- True passion for Uber’s mission and the company’s hybrid technology / operations nature.
- A never-ending desire to grow and learn.
- Employees are showered with Uber credits each month.
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top