Senior Design Manager, Product Content
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
Content Strategy and Copywriting are critically important for Uber — from acquisition to activation to continued usage. And teams across Uber, including Product, Ops, PR, Localization, and Eng, are making a dedicated push to improve quality of content and streamline its production. Said simply, we're looking for somebody who's phenomenally skilled at creating our features and creating our future. And we hope that's you.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
- Increase Clarity — You won't just improve what we're writing, but you'll also bring clarity to the team's purpose throughout each project // And as the Sr DM, you'll be responsible for outstanding creative output as well as evangelizing the team's role within the product development process
- Deliver Consistency — Developing, enforcing, and disseminating voice and tone guidelines for the writing in our Rider and Driver apps will be key // Establishing these guidelines is important not only for the work we create at HQ, but also for city teams and other content teams throughout Uber's decentralized model
- Provide Creative Direction — You'll lead projects, allocate resources, and review work with the team // You'll showcase your ability to be thinking globally and strategically while also being deep in the details is a must // Improving the creative work itself is paramount, but setting the direction for content strategy moving forward is equally important // Prioritizing projects and encouraging a healthy mix of reactive and proactive work will be important
- Partner closely with DMs and PMs across product design, marketing, and brand teams
- Organize and drive projects that span teams with a strong leadership presence
- Orient the team towards tactical and operational excellence
- Develop processes that improve quality and/or output of work
- Organize and drive strategic planning activities that matter to Uber. Motivate and inspire team to execute against plans
- In-house experience is a must
- Experience with localization and regionalization of content
- Mentor and develop individuals on team
- Able to scale teams
What You'll Need
- A growth mindset: you should be able to work hard in a fast-paced environment and always willing to learn more The ability to be a strong mentor and give guidance to individual team members on content quality of work while making sure that everyone is aligned with teams' needs Empathy: an understanding of what makes empathetic content and the ability to ensure that it's the standard for all outward-facing content Clear communication: you can effectively engage an audience, whether it's an internal team or millions of readers worldwideLeadership: you teach the team how to fish instead of fishing for themStrength in range: you have led a variety of projects (from product-specific UX copy to large storytelling concepts) and you understand the medium for every message Trust: you understand the strengths and experiences of your team and can give them the autonomy they need to perform at their highest levels free of micro-management Business Acumen: you can talk business and map content and copy decisions to tangible business goals Experience with localization and regionalization of content
About the Team
We've tripled our team from 4-12 people over the past year, which has been fueled by the growing focus on and importance of Product Content throughout our company initiatives. But we still have a long way to go. So we're looking for a senior creative lead to come in and help lead content strategy and copywriting efforts across our Core Products (Rider and Driver)
Back to top