Senior Counsel - Sub-Saharan Africa
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
This is a once-in-a-career opportunity to join a global legal team integral to a preeminent technology company engaged in cutting edge technology, and focused on solving some of the biggest challenges in the world. You will report to the Legal Director for the Middle East and Africa region, and be based in Johannesburg, South Africa.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Be a trusted advisor to the business, and provide critical legal and strategic input on a wide range of complex and strategic business issues.
- Collaborate with management and EMEA legal colleagues to lead and effectively manage all transactional, litigation and regulatory matters. Demonstrated experience managing complex transactions, tax, competition and pricing issues, licensing and strategic partnership agreements is preferred.
- Partner closely with the Public Policy, and Communications teams to ensure strategic alignment and the successful execution of important regional initiatives. Evaluate general communications, press releases, often on deadlines in response to recent events, to ensure factual accuracy and compliance with applicable laws.
WHO YOU ARE
- 9+ years or more of legal experience. The ideal background includes a combination of private practice and in-house experience with a large technology or consumer facing company.
- A well-rounded generalist with strong management, regulatory and transactional experience supporting enterprise and sales organizations, product launch and implementation and overall business client management.
- Highly motivated, creative, entrepreneurial, and laser-focused on the details; able to juggle multiple projects at a time in a fast-paced environment, while collaborating as a team to stay in sync and working independently to get the job done.
- Strong academic credentials and a law degree from a top law school.
- Fluent in written and spoken English, and a crisp writing style.
- Excellent business judgment and interpersonal skills (outgoing, down-to-earth, and with a good sense of humor).
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in high impact and high profile situations.
- Enthusiastic and knowledgeable about Uber.
- Employees are given Uber credits each month.
- The rare opportunity to help shape the strategic direction of the company across Africa, and change the world such that everyone around you is using
Back to top