Senior Backend Engineer - Maps
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Uber, Advanced Technologies, Engineering is the Palo Alto, CA division of the Uber Engineering Team: a high-performance culture marked by boldness and achievement. We focus on the development of key technologies that advance Uber's mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. Our work is primarily in the areas of mapping and sensing. Our team is comprised of world-class developers and engineers with decades of experience and we're looking for exceptional engineers who can work faster and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence.
What you'll do
As an Uber ATE team member, you'll have a measureable impact on the innovation of exciting and new technologies. The work you will do will be hugely impactful. The experience you will gain will be unique and unmatched. Do you dream about making a positive impact using your passion for engineering? Then we want to talk to you. We are enthusiastic, engaged and excited about changing the transportation industry across the world.
As part of Uber's larger mapping effort, you will be building data pipelines that evaluate, normalize and conflate geospatial data from various sources. Data Processing and Services will be your bread and butter, and you will be knee-deep in challenging problems in domains such as data representation, systems, statistics, conflation, storage and services.
You are data oriented - i.e. be able to set up experiments to measure things that will in turn drive decisions. Maps domain is interdisciplinary in nature, and you will be rubbing shoulders with amazing engineers and data scientists looking to completely transform transportation. You will get a chance to use your skills to resolve some of the toughest problems in the geo-spatial domain using our amazing compute infrastructure and tools.
Who you are
- A fast learner. We're looking for team members who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the exciting pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
- You take action. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You thrive on the belief that quality doesn't have to be compromised to achieve speed-you can have both at the same time.
- Versatile. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passionate. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code or design "released" until you're sure it's correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, excellent documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team - that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- You have design and business acumen. You understand how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products. Whether you're working on a software library used by other developers, building a new datacenter abstraction layer, or sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
What you'll need
- Excellent programming skills in either Java/ GO (nice to have)
- Experience with scalable storage systems
- Experience with Hadoop or similar technologies
- Statistical and Data-mining expertise
- Prior experience in Data management and Systems
- Prior demonstrated ability to ship end-to-end software/data products
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Skill with mapping or computational geometry is a plus.
- Understanding of Web Services a plus.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top