Senior Backend Engineer - Maps
Are you excited by the idea of using bits to move atoms? Are you excited to directly impact transportation in hundreds of cities for billions of people and things around the world? Our ambition is to make transportation as reliable as running water, everywhere for everyone.
Uber’s Advanced Technologies Engineering team in Palo Alto and San Francisco is focused on solving incredibly difficult challenges for the mapping and location platform at Uber. You will be working with some of the world’s best experts, programmers, innovators, and scientists. Your work will directly impact every single Uber request.
We are looking for engineers who can take large amounts of data, build complex models from it, analyze it, process it, and publish it in production systems. You will be part of a small but elite team that has the singular goal to improve Uber’s use of maps through data quality by whatever means necessary—algorithms, machine learning, and even manual editing by operators using tools you developed. This will have a direct impact on both riders and drivers by helping them connect faster and more efficiently. Successful candidates should have:
- Strong programming skills in Java or another object-oriented language.
- Strong architecture skills. Experience in designing scalable high performance production services.
- Ability to build and interact with very large data processing pipelines, distributed data stores, and distributed file systems.
- Strong algorithmic and analytical skills. Familiarity with information retrieval, data integration or machine learning are a plus.
- Extra large bonus points for experience with geospatial datasets and services, such as maps, local search, points of interest and business listings data, mobile device location and GPS traces.
- MS in computer science preferred but not required.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world and reinvent transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, paid company holidays and Uber credits.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top