Self-Driving Vehicle Reliability Technician
At ATG, we are visionary, engaged and excited about transforming the way the world moves. With locations in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Phoenix and Toronto, the Advanced Technologies Group is comprised of Uber's self-driving engineering team dedicated to self-driving technologies, mapping, and vehicle safety. Our teams are passionate about developing long-term technologies that advance Uber's mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere.
Our work doesn't end with transporting people. We are also developing self-driving truck technology to move goods more safely and cost effectively around the world.
Are you an independent problem solver with a high level of technical curiosity? Are you willing to put in lots of energy to help bring new technologies from prototype to production?
We're looking for technicians and lead technicians who can work harder, faster, and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence. Our organizational challenges are rare, so you should be comfortable in uncharted territory.
As a technician on the Vehicle Reliability Team, you will troubleshoot, diagnose and root cause problems on hardware, in software and on the base vehicle platforms. We collaborate with almost every team in the company providing feedback on fleet conditions and ensuring that any issues that arise during testing and operations get addressed.
What you'll need
- BS or 2+ years of experience in a related field (4+ years experience for lead technician)
- Comfortable with laptops, multimeters and wrenches - indoors and out
- Deep understanding of computing hardware
- Knowledgeable of modern automotive electronics and diagnostic procedures
- Ability to read and understand code (Python, C++)
- Confident decision-making skills
- Capable of working independently with minimal supervision
- Motivation to dig deep into the equipment to find the root cause of errors and failures, and to communicate, both verbally and in writing, all findings and potential solutions
- Ability to learn and understand every aspect of how a self-driving vehicle functions (sensors, programming, hardware, vehicle integration)
What you'll do
- Remotely observe and troubleshoot issues on self driving vehicles operating in the field
- Directly troubleshoot, document and resolve software and hardware issues on self driving vehicles
- Perform root-cause analysis of problems observed and provide recommendations for improvements
- Track issues throughout the fleet and provide detailed analysis of fleet wide conditions
- Collaborate with teams throughout the organization to continuously improve issue tracking and resolution
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, ten paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top