Safety Communications Lead
Uber started out to solve a simple problem: the need to get a ride across town. Six years and one billion trips later, we’ve stumbled upon something a bit bigger: a new way to help tackle congestion—one of the most serious challenges cities face today.
Using technology, Uber makes it quick and easy for people headed in the same direction at the same time to share their journey. It’s carpooling at the press of a button. And by getting more people into fewer cars we’ve proven you can reduce congestion and pollution overtime. UberPOOL in Los Angeles, for example, cut the number of kilometers driven across town by 12.7 million and carbon dioxide pollution by 1,400 metric in just eight months in Los Angeles.
Longer term, we’re optimistic that smartphone apps like Uber can also offer a real alternative to individual car ownership. After all, if you can press a button and get an affordable ride across town in minutes 24-hours a day, why bother to own a car? There is an alternative to a world that looks like a parking lot and moves like a traffic jam. Join Uber to help make that future possible.
About Communications at Uber
The most successful consumer technology companies are brilliant storytellers, who put their products—as well as the benefits of those products—front and center in every communication.
Our communications team is responsible for telling Uber’s story to the media and third parties: whether it’s transforming how we get around town and the lives of people who value independent, flexible work; or cutting congestion in cities by getting more backsides into fewer cars. That’s partly about building lasting relationships with the key news outlets and journalists in every country where we operate. It also about being creative in how we tell our story, including using social media, as well as working with the public policy team to develop campaigns that make the positive case for reform.
About this Role
We are looking for someone to handle trust and safety communications in India, based at our headquarters in Gurgaon. You will report to the Head of Communications, India, and work closely with the global Head of Safety Communications who is based in San Francisco. This role will involve:
- Leading media relations on safety issues.
- Partnering with law enforcement and other public safety leaders.
- Working with Uber India’s global safety and community operations teams to tell our safety story, and highlight our existing technology
- The role will require flexible work schedule, including but not limited to weekend work hours and the option to work from a home office.
What We’re Looking For
To succeed you’ll need to be:
- A self starter: Uber is a company of entrepreneurs and we want to work with people who enjoy building things from the bottom up too. Stuff changes fast in our world so you’ll need to be highly adaptable as well as calm under pressure;
- A great advocate: We’re looking for people who can distill complex ideas into simple, but intellectually credible, arguments. You’ll need to write well and have the creative ability to tell stories—about our product, people and the ways we’re helping to improve life for passengers, drivers and cities.
- Experienced Spokesperson: Strong media relations experience and expertise
- A team player: Success at Uber depends on the ability to organize different teams (internally and externally) around shared goals. It’s why we’re looking for people who enjoy working with others to get stuff done—and who can deal with the ambiguity that sometimes comes from working cross-functionally.
Ideally you would have a proven track record in communications—either for a company, a third party or in government. But we’re open to people who’ve been successful in other walks of life (e.g. the law, media, working for law enforcement) who intuitively get this stuff and may be looking for a career change.
- Employees receive free and discounted Uber rides.
- The opportunity to be part of a movement that is revolutionizing urban transportation around the world, and making cities safer and more accessible in the process.
- Work with incredibly talented and passionate colleagues
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top