Risk Analyst Internship/Co-Op (Summer 2018)
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
Uber's Risk Team is at the forefront of one of the world's biggest challenges. Every day we process millions of mobile transactions in over 80 different countries, while also issuing courier-driver-partner payouts on weekly, and in some cases, daily basis. As we grow and rapidly expand our transaction base across emerging products, we face new and interesting situations that many companies have never encountered. Our goal is to deliver innovative risk management in a multi-side marketplace to maximize legitimate revenue and sustainable growth.
In this 12-16 week summer intern program, you will solve some concrete hard risk problems in the real world. You will gain the first-hand insights into how we mitigate risk of financial losses while also maintaining a positive user experience and enabling Uber to continue making big bold bets. You will work very closely with a lot of experienced fraud or risk professionals across Uber risk team, and have their hands-on guidance and coaching.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
- Design solutions that prevent, detect, or action against fraudulent or suspicious user behavior, for mitigating the risk of fraud and financial abuse across riders, drivers, merchants, and affiliates while maintaining good customer experience
- Deep Dive into Data through systematic and ad hoc analyses that identify root causes of loss segments and estimate the impact of new products and processes
- Communicate business results on a regular basis to stakeholders around the world, including executive leadership
- End to end problem solving with data driven approach and also provide insights to assist on long term changes
- Design solutions to improve data infrastructure and business intelligence to support decision making
- Analyze and Design Rules that introduce appropriate amounts of friction for suspicious Uber users based on high risk user characteristics and machine learning models
- Build data visualization, dashboards and monitoring to showcase impact of decisions made
What You'll Need
- Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in statistics, math, computer science, or related technical disciplines
- Strong analytical skillset and experience with analytics tools (Excel, SQL, R, Python, Tableau, and other statistical or data analysis packages)
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills
- Creative problem solving and critical thinking skills with a bias toward action and a get things done attitude
- Team player mindset that takes ownership for a collective outcome and helps others along the way
- Ability to take initiative in a fast-moving environment and independently make decisions or take risks with incomplete information
Back to top