The Labs Team drives Uber’s innovation by promoting an active culture of high-quality experimentation. Research Scientists advise on research from headquarters and city teams around the world and develop company-wide resources to facilitate rigorous experiments and surveys. We inform the empirical approach for experiments, provide the tools to enable analyses, and interpret the results that drive decisions about optimizing our global business.
The team is looking for a Research Scientist to consult on incoming projects and to develop new research resources, such as educational guides, syntheses of prior research, and analytical tools to enable sound statistical analyses across the organization. The ideal candidate would enter the role with expertise in experimental design, statistics, and teaching.
What you’ll be doing:
- Support globe-spanning R&D projects across operations, engineering, marketing, product, and finance teams
- Interface with all levels of Uber employees across teams and cities
- Track and document projects throughout the research lifecycle, from experimental design to the presentation of findings
- Collaborate with teams across the organization to measure the impact and efficiency of new products and business processes
- Contribute to the growth, development, and maintenance of Uber’s research pipeline
Here are the kinds of skills we’re looking for:
- PhD in Psychology, Marketing, Neuroscience, Sociology or other quantitative behavioral science
- 5+ years of research / analytical experience; including experimental/applied research and survey design
- Expertise in statistics required for hypothesis testing, including power analyses, parametric and non-parametric tests (e.g. chi-square, ANOVA, OLS regression, logistic regression, multilevel modeling)
- Fluency with at least one statistical software program (R, SPSS, Matlab, STATA)
- Knowledge of additional programming languages to automate processes (e.g. Python)
- Ability to work in a high volume environment and consult on numerous projects simultaneously
- Unrivaled communication and teaching skills both written and verbal, from one-on-one meetings to leading regional trainings
Bonus points if you have:
- SQL proficiency
- Machine learning experience
- Natural language processing experience
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, ten paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top