Regional Communication Lead, West
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Uber started out to solve a simple problem: the need to get a ride across town. Six years and one billion trips later, we've stumbled upon something a bit bigger: a new way to help tackle congestion—one of the most serious challenges cities face today.
Using technology, Uber makes it quick and easy for people headed in the same direction at the same time to share their journey. It's carpooling at the press of a button. And by getting more people into fewer cars we've proven you can reduce congestion and pollution overtime. uberPOOL in Los Angeles, for example, cut the number of kilometers driven across town by 12.7 million and carbon dioxide pollution by 1,400 metric tons in just eight months in Los Angeles.
Longer term, we're optimistic that smartphone apps like Uber can also offer a real alternative to individual car ownership. After all, if you can press a button and get an affordable ride across town in minutes, 24-hours a day, why bother to own a car? There is an alternative to a world that looks like a parking lot and moves like a traffic jam. We're looking for smart, can do people who want to make that future possibl
About Communications at Uber:
The Communications team is responsible for telling Uber's story to the media and third parties: whether it's transforming how we get around town and the lives of people who value independent, flexible work; or reduce congestion in cities by getting more people into fewer cars. It also about being creative in how we tell our story, including the use of social media, as well as working with the cross functional teams to develop campaigns that make the positive case for reform and regulations and overall business and operation
About this Role:
We are looking for someone to lead our regional communications efforts across the West region, to be based in Mumbai, reporting to the Head of Communications for India and South Asia. This role will involve:
- Establishing Uber's brand and profile with the media and third parties across West India (Mumbai, Pune, Nasik)
- Establish a strong network of relationships with media across West India
- Working cross functionally, with city leadership and the India communication team, to tell our story—and the story of ridesharing—in creative, inspiring ways that resonate with media and influencers on social media.
What We're Looking For
To succeed you'll need to be:
- A self starter: Uber is a company of entrepreneurs and we want to work with people who enjoy building things from the bottom up too. Stuff changes fast in our world so you'll need to be highly adaptable as well as calm under pressure;
- A great advocate: We're looking for people who can distill complex ideas into simple, but intellectually credible, arguments. You'll need to write well and have the creative ability to tell stories—about our product, people and the ways we're helping to improve life for passengers, drivers and cities.
- A strong campaigner: Smartphone apps are disruptive, and the interests being disrupted are deeply entrenched. We succeed by putting together effective campaigns with third parties on behalf of the passengers and drivers who use the app. That means you'll have a bias for action in everything you do—and a willingness to engage in debates, that can often become heated.
- A team player: Success at Uber depends on the ability to organize different teams (internally and externally) around shared goals. It's why we're looking for well organized people who enjoy working with others to get stuff done—and who can deal with the ambiguity that sometimes comes from working cross-functionally.
Ideally, you would have 8+ years of experience in communications and have spent time living and working within the West region. Experience in consumer, product, and crisis communications is an advantage. Excellent understanding of the media industry and extensive network of relationships with media and influencers at a local and pan West India level is a must. Experience working with PR agencies and startups in the e-commerce and/ or technology space will be an added advantage. We are open to people with experience in another walk of life, who intuitively get this stuff and may be looking for a career change. Fluency in Hindi, Marathi and English, oral and written, is essential.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top