Public Policy Associate, Vietnam
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
We are looking for an energetic and capable Government Affairs & Public Policy Associate based in Ho Chi Minh City reporting to the Head of Public Policy for Vietnam.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
- Establish Uber's brand and profile with policy makers including governments, third parties and academics through dialogues, policy advocacy and partnership creation
- Work to ensure that the regulatory framework in Vietnam supports Industrial Revolution 4.0. ridesharing apps like Uber at both central and local levels
- Use your creativity to suggest policy ideas for the company to enable tangible and impactful outcomes
- Manage policy budget and support Head of Public Policy
What You'll Need
- A self starter: Uber is a company of entrepreneurs and we want to work with people who enjoy building things from the bottom up. Situations changes fast in our world so you'll need to be highly adaptable as well as calm under pressure.
- A great advocate: We're looking to create new frameworks that encourage innovation and alternatives to individual car ownership. You'll need the intellectual rigor to grasp complex policy issues as well as the ability to articulate clearly and simply how apps like Uber can help improve transportation for everyone-both orally and in writing
- A gifted campaigner: Smartphone apps are disruptive and the interests being disrupted are deeply entrenched. So you'll need to put together proactive campaigns involving passengers, drivers and third parties that demonstrate there's a better alternative to today's outdated status quo. That means having a bias for action in everything you do-and a willingness to engage in debates, that can often become heated.
- A team player: Success at Uber depends on the ability to organize different teams (internally and externally) around shared goals. It's why we're looking for well organized people who enjoy working with others to get things done and who can deal with the ambiguity that sometimes comes from working cross-functionally
- Ideally you would have legal or business background with more than 4 years of experience in government affairs and policy. We are open to people who have experience in another area, who have a deep understanding of these issues and may be looking for a career change
- You will speak and write in English and Vietnamese fluently and idiomatically. Those with great oral and written translation capability will be given priority
About the Team
Our talented and fun public policy team is responsible for working with policy makers and third parties to make the positive case for change. That's partly about fostering lasting relationships in the cities where we operate with politicians and their staff so they understand the benefits of this new model. It is also about figuring out the best local regulatory framework and then developing campaigns to push reform through.
Back to top