Product Platform Designer
Title: Product Designer | Mobile and/or Web Platform
Uber is seeking designers experienced in systems design to join our team. Come shape and invent innovative ways to scale the design ecosystem at Uber.
The Design Platform team is looking for a strong individual contributor with significant experience designing systems – someone who is a systems thinker at heart, is equally strong in interaction design, visual design, and prototyping, and has experience establishing and evolving design patterns at scale. In this role you will be working collaboratively with Product Management, Design, and Engineering teams to execute designs that will inform the global design system by which our various web apps are designed and built on.
The right candidates will be excellent communicators, comfortable in a high-velocity startup, and passionate about scaling design systems to achieve consistent, high-quality experiences while building the Uber digital brand. This position is full-time and based in San Francisco. The role demands great execution, bold innovation, obsession with quality, fearlessness and optimism to be inspired by the unknown and never settle, solving problems with creativity while keeping the user in mind and ambition to take projects to the finish line.
We might be a good match if…
- You’re a champion of consistency, quality, and efficiency. You understand the benefits of recycling design patterns but know when it’s time to improve their design for broader use cases, effectiveness or consistency with the system at large.
- You’ve shipped product. You’ve weathered release cycles and know what details matter at each stage, how to motivate engineers to get the fit and finish right, how to translate insights from user studies into meaningful action, and what’s most likely to go afoul at each stage. You can share several shining examples of real work you’ve shipped, and what you learned along the way.
- You’re scrappy. A self starter and able to lean in when necessary to push a project over the finish line. You come up with creative solutions to completing projects in less-than-ideal situations. A lack of resources doesn’t stop you. You enjoy the challenge of finding ways to get it done.
- Prototyping is a key part of your toolset. You’ve prototyped on multiple platforms. You’ve made last-minute tweaks between user studies. You know how to be all kinds of quick and dirty, but dream of better prototyping tools.
- You believe in craftsmanship and create elegant and compelling designs, over and over. Your portfolio is eye-wateringly beautiful. You’re a walking encyclopedia of microinteractions in use (on mobile, web, desktop, etc), and have nuanced views on how to make many of them even better. Your standards are incredibly high, and you constantly strive to elevate your abilities.
- You’re technical. You don’t necessarily have to be able to build your own web app but you’re fluent in the technologies required to create the framework. Bonus points if you’re savvy in HTML/CSS.
- Cross-platform is your style. You’ve shipped something across several platforms. You know what translates from desktop and what doesn’t, or why you’d opt for one solution for iOS and another on Android. While this role is mobile-specific, you’ll be designing for a system with touchpoints across all platforms, and understanding the nuances of each is important.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top