Product Manager - Security - Risk Platform
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role:
We're looking for a Product manager to take Uber's risk management technology to the next level. We are pioneering new techniques everyday to detect and counter bad actors all over the world who are constantly adapting and discovering new ways to abuse our platform.
Uber is at the forefront of one of the most exciting marketplace challenges as the world rapidly evolves from desktop to on-demand mobile commerce. Our ability to effectively manage risk in this environment is key to our ongoing success and allows the company to make smart, bold bets while maintaining a delightful and painless user experience. It's our job to think about this so that our riders and drivers don't have to.
As a Product Manager, you'll lead a team of engineers and data scientists and own the product roadmap and the direction of the team as the company grows across new businesses and markets around the world.
The role demands a deep background in product management, machine learning, risk management; ability to operate in a highly technical environment; leadership skills, and the ability to do user research and work collaboratively across many stakeholders.
What You'll Do:
- Help build and implement risk tools and scalable distributed systems and technologies at one of the largest players in the rapidly evolving m-commerce environment.
- Internalize and deeply understand Uber's mission and strategies, as well as the mission and objectives of various risk teams and stakeholders.
- Distill vision and strategy for the team, get all members of cross-functional team enthusiastic about creating a product with value.
- Be incredibly truth-seeking. Collect whatever data is necessary to inform product direction, whether in the form of trends or other business metrics. Solicit and embrace critical feedback.
- Drive a cross-functional team to set qualitative objectives and quantitative goals
- Drive innovation, definition, deliverables planning (roadmap) and design of entirely new Uber products and product features to deliver against team and company goals. Requires challenging all members of cross-functional team (engineering, finance, operations, etc.) to think boldly and creatively and then to funnel that energy into concrete products and execution plans.
- Monitor and measure launched products and feed learnings back into product development process.
- Clearly communicate product plans, benefits and results, as appropriate, to a spectrum of audiences.
What You'll Need:
- An undergraduate degree or equivalent in computer science or a quantitative domain plus hands-on software engineering and/or data science experience. Technical understanding must go from the highest abstractions down to the metal.
- At least 5 years experience delivering highly successful and innovative risk detection, security or data management systems with your signature all over them.
- High standards across the board - from your own contributions to the people you work with to the products you work on.
- A "driver" personality - biased toward action, great collaborator and an excellent disambiguator/simplifier - constantly pushing toward clarity and delivery.
- Grittiness: You don't hesitate to take initiative and address something hands-on, you persevere when others give up.
- You take initiative with data: you just go get the data you need with no muss/fuss and can turn it into an insightful story. You know how to leverage data to make decisions without getting stuck in paralysis by analysis.
- User-focus - you have examples from your past of tough product challenges that you persevered through because you were unwilling to make your problems your users' problems.
- True passion for Uber's mission and the company's hybrid technology / operations nature.
- A deep desire to grow and learn.
About the Team:
We are pioneering new techniques everyday to detect and counter bad actors all over the world who are constantly adapting and discovering new ways to abuse our platform.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top