Product Manager - Maps - Places Science
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
About the Role
The Places Science team is responsible for all aspects of data that powers search and other experiences on Uber - aggregating data from multiple internal and external sources, working on user generation flows and solving really really hard computer science problems to dedup and improve the data. We work closely with other services and frontend experience team.
If you are a Product authority who truly understands the power of how awesome data can completely transform product experiences, this is the perfect role for you! You'll work with a stellar team that gets up everyday and is fired up about the impact that it delivers. The role demands an innovator and passionate believer who can push boundaries of what can be done everyday.
About the Team
Uber's vision of transportation like running water, reliable and always available for everyone, relies on knowing where our users are and where they are going. Knowing the world with complete details is critical for Uber - from alleyways where the rider needs to be dropped off to ensuring the best pickup-dropoff points for malls, airports and other points of interests.
This data powers the search on Uber, and search is the launching pad for all Uber experiences. Searching for a place/address/location is the first touch point for our users and we care deeply about the experience. Can we craft a better, faster, more relevant search experience for everyone everywhere?
What You'll Need
- A computer science undergraduate degree or equivalent plus hands-on software engineering experience. Technical understanding should go from the highest abstractions down to the metal.
- 2-5 years experience delivering highly successful and innovative consumer Internet products with your fingerprints all over them - you're very proud of what you've accomplished
- Stellar design instincts and product taste
- A high bar across the board - from your own contributions to the people you work with to the products you work on.
- A "driver" personality - biased toward action, great collaborator and master disambiguator/simplifier - constantly pushing toward clarity and delivery.
- Grittiness. You never hesitate to roll up your sleeves and take on something hands-on, you persevere when others fall away.
- Finger-tippiness with data: you just go get the data you need with no muss/fuss and can whip it into an insightful story with no help. You know how to leverage data to make decisions without getting stuck in analysis paralysis.
- Rider-centricity - examples from your past of tough product challenges that you powered through because you were unwilling to make your problems your riders' problems.
- Real passion for Uber's mission and the company's hybrid technology / operations nature.
- A never-ending desire to grow and learn.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top