Product Manager - Maps - Map Display
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it’s heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We’re making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we’re doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber’s positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
One of the first things people see when they open the Uber app is the Map Display, which powers three-quarters of the pixels on the screen. Map Display sits at the intersection of geo data and visualization, and puts into pictures how Uber understands the physical world around us. From places of interest to street corners, Map Display is packed with rich data that need to be accurately showcased in order to guide our drivers around their cities or to orient our riders successfully for the perfect pickup.
The Display team is responsible for all aspects of the technology that propel the visualization of maps at Uber. We ship fluid vector tiles that support our business and also delight our customers. This role demands a skilled innovator who’s passionate about data, cartography, and most importantly, is ready to reimagine what it means to look at a map.
What you’ll do
- Internalize and deeply understand Uber’s mission and strategies, as well as how the mission and objectives of your specific team factor into the company strategy.
- Fully own and drive the enablement of Uber’s Map Display solutions, both for end-users and internal consumers.
- Be incredibly truth-seeking. Collect whatever data is necessary to inform product direction, whether in the form of competitive intel, rider behavior or other business metrics. Solicit and embrace critical feedback.
- Drive a cross-functional team to set qualitative objectives and quantitative goals.
- Drive innovation, definition, deliverables planning (roadmap) and design of entirely new Uber products and product features to deliver against team and company goals.
- Challenge all members of cross-functional teams (engineering, design, etc.) to think boldly and creatively, and then to funnel that energy into concrete products and execution plans.
- Drive definition of and execution against product go-to-market plan, including phasing and marketing.
- Monitor and measure launched products and feed learnings back into the product development process.
- Clearly communicate product plans, benefits, and results, as appropriate, to a spectrum of audiences – from internal stakeholders to riders.
What you’ll need
- A computer science undergraduate degree or equivalent plus hands-on software engineering experience. Technical understanding must go from the highest abstractions down to the metal.
- At least need 2 years experience delivering highly successful and innovative consumer Internet products with your signature all over them.
- Mapping and data visualization experience highly desired, but not a must.
- Knowledge of geospatial services and datasets, such as maps data, routing algorithms, etc. is also a plus.
- Stellar design instincts and product taste.
- High standards across the board – from your own contributions to the people you work with to the products you work on.
- A “driver” personality – biased toward action, great collaborator and an excellent disambiguator/simplifier – constantly pushing toward clarity and delivery.
- Grittiness: You don’t hesitate to take initiative and address something hands-on, you persevere when others give up.
- You take initiative with data: you just go get the data you need with no muss/fuss and can turn it into an insightful story. You know how to leverage data to make decisions without getting stuck in paralysis by analysis.
- True passion for Uber’s mission and the company’s hybrid technology / operations nature.
- A deep desire to grow and learn.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top