Product Manager - Maps - Map Display
One of the first things people see when they open the Uber app is the Map Display, which powers three-quarters of the pixels on the screen. Map Display sits at the intersection of geo data and visualization, and puts into pictures how Uber understands the physical world around us. From places of interest to street corners, Map Display is packed with rich data that need to be accurately showcased in order to guide our drivers around their cities or to orient our riders successfully for the perfect pickup.
The Display team is responsible for all aspects of the technology that power the visualization of maps at Uber. We ship fluid vector tiles that power our business and also delight our customers. This role demands a fierce innovator who’s passionate about data, cartography, and most importantly, is ready to reimagine what it means to look at a map.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Internalize and deeply understand Uber’s mission and strategies, as well as how the mission and objectives of your specific team factor into the company strategy.
- Fully own and drive the enablement of Uber’s Map Display solutions, both for end-users and internal consumers.
- Be incredibly truth-seeking. Collect whatever data is necessary to inform product direction, whether in the form of competitive intel, rider behavior or other business metrics. Solicit and embrace critical feedback.
- Drive a cross-functional team to set qualitative objectives and quantitative goals.
- Drive innovation, definition, deliverables planning (roadmap) and design of entirely new Uber products and product features to deliver against team and company goals.
- Challenge all members of cross-functional teams (engineering, design, etc.) to think boldly and creatively, and then to funnel that energy into concrete products and execution plans.
- Drive definition of and execution against product go-to-market plan, including phasing and marketing.
- Monitor and measure launched products and feed learnings back into the product development process.
- Clearly communicate product plans, benefits, and results, as appropriate, to a spectrum of audiences – from internal stakeholders to riders.
Qualifications & Requirements
- A computer science undergraduate degree or equivalent plus hands-on software engineering experience. Technical understanding must go from the highest abstractions down to the metal.
- 2-5 years experience delivering highly successful and innovative consumer Internet products with your fingerprints all over them – you’re extremely proud of what you’ve accomplished.
- Mapping and data visualization experience highly desired, but not a must.
- Knowledge of geospatial services and datasets, such as maps data, routing algorithms, etc. is also a plus.
- Stellar design instincts and product taste.
- A high bar across the board – from your own contributions to the people you work with to the products you work on.
- A “driver” personality – biased toward action, great collaborator and master disambiguator/simplifier – constantly pushing toward clarity and delivery.
- Grittiness. You never hesitate to roll up your sleeves and tackle something hands-on, you persevere when others fall away.
- Finger-tippiness with data: you get the data you need with no muss/fuss and can whip it into an insightful story with no help. You know how to leverage data to make decisions without getting stuck in analysis paralysis.
- True passion for Uber’s mission and the company’s hybrid technology / operations nature.
- A never-ending desire to grow and learn.
- Employees are showered with Uber credits each month.
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
Benefits (United States)
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top