Product Designer, Uber Freight
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
We'd like someone who can operate strategically and tactically, switching effortlessly between the two. We're still a small team and day-to-day duties can vary quite a bit from exporting SVGs for engineers to leading design sprints and selling big ideas to stakeholders. We do it all on Freight Design.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
- Top-notch craftsmanship: Your portfolio has some amazing work. You're a walking encyclopedia of microinteractions in use (on web, desktop, mobile, etc), and have nuanced views on how to make many of them even better
- Record of shipping great experiences: You've weathered release cycles and know what details matter at each stage, how to motivate engineers to get the fit and finish right, how to translate insights from user studies into meaningful action, and what's most likely to go afoul at each stage
- You can share several shining examples of real work you've shipped, and what you learned along the way
- Capability to drive product decisions: You're a product manager's secret weapon. You thrive best when helping to define the requirements, not just translating them into designs. You facilitate and draw the best design ideas from teammates.
- A never ending focus on your users: You don't hesitate to call dispatchers, hop on a plane to meet with our ops team or do a ridealong with a driver to uncover the truth about what they need. Back at the office, you happily speak on behalf of your users and work hard to help your collaborators understand them.
- Attention to the bottom-line: Analytics don't intimidate you, and you know which features can act as multipliers on your company's business model
- Great skills of planning and prioritization that lets you be more flexible: You have a demonstrated ability to take large complex projects and create a clear timeline of tasks and deliverables in a way that leverages teammates, tests, and iterates
- Cross-platform comfort: Hopefully you've shipped something across several platforms. You know what translates from desktop and what doesn't, or why you'd opt for one solution for iOS and another on Android
What You'll Need
- 3+ years of product design experience
- Expert at developing and conveying ideas clearly in written and visual format - making business concepts and data visually engaging through use of color, typography, images, infographics, and animation
- Mastery of Sketch, Illustrator, After Effects, and Google Slides
- Attention to detail — every decision matters
- Deadline-driven with the ability to prioritize projects concurrently
- Eagerness to research and be with your users
- Ability to work collaboratively with people from all disciplines and levels
- Ability to improvise and find creative solutions
About the Team
Uber Freight is building the "Uber for Trucking," and reshaping the business that moves everything around us. We're building a team of designers that are highly skilled at their chosen areas of focus and passionate about their craft and continuous improvement.
Back to top