Operations Commander Manager
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
Community Operations is pioneering how Uber manages community support around the globe and we're looking for a Manager, (you!), to lead the Ops Commander team. This will be a managerial role with a heavy focus on people management, diagnosing problems with critical business systems, and continuous process improvement. Those interested should be excited to demonstrate those skills and be eager to lead a team of equally driven individuals.
What You'll Do
- Lead, motivate, and develop a high performing team of Ops Commander staff within a time-sensitive and demanding environment to ensure that bug/outage reporting, escalation, and communication happen in a timely and efficient manner
- Stay present and available for your team (~8 people); this includes answering questions, hosting weekly 1-on-1 meetings, and providing real-time feedback
- Coach Ops Commanders and drive performance to improve our bug/outage resolution process
- Conduct weekly performance audits and coach towards progressive improvements; identify opportunities for additional training and development
- Manage enforcement of policies, including attendance; create and distribute reports to management on operational key performance indicators (KPIs), provide Senior Leadership with weekly snapshots of team's performance; escalate issues to Senior Leadership as necessary
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert (SME). Identify trending issues head-on and guide Ops Commanders do the same in their daily work
- Develop detailed technical knowledge of Uber customer and support systems and their interdependencies
- Identify new opportunities for the team's responsibilities to continue to grow to fit the needs of the org; lead the team through new initiatives and processes
What You'll Need
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Communications, English, Journalism, or a technical discipline
- Minimum 5 years working experiences with 2 years of management experience in customer support or incident response
- Ability to learn how various systems work and help diagnose what may be causing bugs or outages related to them
- Willingness to work weekends, early mornings, late nights, and occasional holidays, in an operational 24/7 environment
- Proven ability to manage effectively, set team goals, develop people to their highest levels of performance, and guide through challenging situations
- Motivational skills - your team depends on you to inspire them to reach their full potential. You don't let the stressors of the customer service industry negatively impact team attitude or morale
Bonus Points if
- Experience in service, customer support, or incident response in a high-volume and extremely fast-paced environment
- Experience in call center environment
- Jira and SQL proficiency
About the Team
The Ops Commander Team works 24/7/365 to coordinate reporting, escalation, and communication around bugs and outages that drive community support contacts or impact the support process.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top