Onboard Platform Infrastructure Engineer
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
As a self-driving infrastructure engineer on the Onboard Infrastructure (Platform) team, you will develop the core software systems used to run autonomy software on our vehicles. You will be responsible for making our self-driving platform reliable, robust and easy to use.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
- Evolve the fleet from a collection of individual vehicles into a living, roving network with integrated metrics and monitoring
- Squeeze CPU and GPU cycles out of our limited onboard hardware resources
- Extend the custom Linux distribution used on the self-driving vehicles
- Create abstract sensor and embedded device interfaces in C++
- Work with autonomy engineers to meet latency requirements for sensor data
- Scale onboard and offboard systems for transporting data to/from the vehicles
- Build HIL (hardware-in-the-loop) test infrastructure to automatically verify onboard code changes and profile performance
- Engineering support for field testing and fleet operations
What You'll Need
- Professional or hobbyist level familiarity with Linux
- Comfortable reading and developing production quality software with C++ and Python.
- Excellent skills in triaging, isolating, documenting, and tracking issues.
- Ability to analyze test results and build, use and configure automated reporting systems.
- Excellent communication skills with diverse groups of team members including technicians, software and hardware engineers, managers and executives
Bonus Points (optional)
- Familiarity with embedded device integration and sensing equipment, such as LIDAR, radar, or cameras.
- Experience with ROS and/or ground robotics systems.
About the Team
The Platform subteam in Onboard Infrastructure deal with the practicalities of running autonomy software on the road. The team has a diverse set of experiences from low-level embedded firmware to backend web systems. We bridge the gap from simulation to the real world.
Back to top