ODM Strategic Alliance Lead - uMetal
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 500 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the team
The uMetal team provides the on-demand metal service to keep Uber's innovation running. uMetal builds the base layer of compute resources for developers, riders, drivers, and self-driving cars rely on every day. Supporting billions of rides and fast-forwarding to the future of self-driving cars, Uber's data center team has some of the most interesting challenges around.
Uber is growing rapidly. We are excited to build a hardware design engineering team from the
ground up. We are looking for an innovative industry expert for the ODM Strategic Alliance Lead position.
This position will be responsible to define and drive ODM strategy and implementation in close collaboration with the key stakeholders. This role will build strategic alliances with key ODM vendors to ensure roadmap, technology, and business alignment. Our ODM vendor implementation of the Uber rack system must be designed to be ground breaking, highly efficient, reliable, easy to maintain, and TCO effective. This position is for a full time position located in our Palo Alto office.
What you'll do:
- Define the overall ODM vendor strategy and alliance for the rack system which includes the rack, power delivery, network systems, compute systems, storage systems, and machine learning systems.
- Work with the supply chain team to implement the ODM strategy to meet the goals of technology, roadmap, and pricing.
- Work closely with the hardware design engineers throughout product development process to negotiate, optimize and reduce the total cost of ownership (TCO) to ensure best competitiveness from day one till end-of- life
- Identify new technology vendor alliance required such as machine learning.
- Provide market intelligence and align with project requirements to build an efficient sourcing strategies.
- Ensure deep understanding of ROI, TCO, industry adoption rate of new technology, and technology roadmaps
- Perform due diligence to onboard the right ODM vendors to oversee the development and execution of these products
- Review the BOM to drive down cost, increase reliability, and ensure availability
- Work with data center partners to get a deep understanding of their requirements and concerns.
- Technology roadmap and strategy alignment between hardware engineering and ODM vendors.
What you'll need:
- Bachelor or above, majored in Electronics, Engineering, Supply Chain or related field.
- Over 7 years working experience in ODM/OEM management, pricing, and purchasing.
- In depth experience driving key component vendors like Intel and AMD.
- Wide range knowledge in Supplier Management including purchasing principles, practices, nomenclature, and procedures.
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation communication skills in English
- Be familiar with MS office especially spreadsheet
- Experience working with hardware engineering team to define SOW, drive prototyping, and ramp production.
Bonus points if:
- Experience with Datacenter Hardware Open Source Standards like OCP, Open19, etc.
- Experience handling data center deployments and issues
- Experience resolving hardware system production yield issues
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top