Motion Design Lead
UBER MOTION DESIGN LEAD
The Uber Motion Design Lead is an experienced leader in motion design and art direction who will define and drive how the Uber brand in expressed in motion. The Motion Design Lead will build and manage the Content Studio’s motion design team, oversee the creation of best motion practices across all platforms, and collaborate with other design teams at Uber. You’ll think critically about how motion reinforces Uber’s brand experience, enhances interactivity, and creates a magical user experience.
On a typical day you’ll:
- Conceptualize & storyboard an animated video for a new product.
- Review work in progress of a junior motion designer.
- Publish an update to brand motion design guidelines.
- Collaborate with app designers to improve UX motion design.
- Create title animations in collaboration with a video editor.
- Discuss resourcing projections with the Content Studio manager.
- Present style frames and animatic for product brand redesign.
Your key functions include:
- Direct all phases of motion work from concept through production, including executing content across multiple platforms.
- Get hands-on with design and animation projects from end to end.
- Recruit, build and lead the motion team by inspiring creative excellence and leading by example.
- Communicate complex, sometimes abstract, design concepts clearly and persuasively.
- Evangelize the craft of motion design across the organization.
Your areas of responsibility include:
- Ensure consistently high quality of motion work on all content.
- Creates and oversees best practices & team workflows, develops Uber’s global conceptual motion framework, and advises on all matters pertaining to motion.
- Provides creative direction across all motion design work.
- Scopes and oversees budgets that involve motion.
- Oversees development and operations of the motion design team.
- Responsible for recruiting, mentoring and career guidance of motion designers.
- Provides business leadership for the motion design department within Uber and externally.
- Collaborates with producers and team leads to define conceptual and production approach on both motion-centric and multi-disciplinary projects.
- Assists in designing and maintaining motion tools & infrastructure.
- Guides resourcing decisions on motion projects.
- Reviews and advises on production plans and budgets.
- Assists producers in development of vendor relationships and management of outsourced motion/VFX projects.
- 7+ years of experience, with at least 5 working as a Senior Motion Designer/Art Director in a similar marketing environment or company.
- Portfolio of high level motion work that demonstrates strong design, art direction and motion skills.
- Expertise in motion design software including the Adobe CC suite and Cinema4D as well as plug-ins and scripting. Knowledge of Maya, Nuke, and other VFX software preferred.
- Deep knowledge of emergent trends and technologies.
- Proven leadership experience, including successful track record of taking projects from concept to completion and overseeing diverse creative teams.
- Demonstrated ability to define and evangelize motion design processes and best practices.
- Strong interpersonal relations and problem solving skills.
- A professional and positive service-oriented demeanor.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Experience interfacing with producers, product managers and creative teams in all stages of a project.
- Comfortable working at a scrappy start up environment and interfacing with other offices and colleagues remotely.
- Sense of humor, maturity, vision, humility, curiosity, enthusiasm, and inspiration.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top