ML Engineer - Map Automation
Uber, Advanced Technologies, Engineering is the Palo Alto, CA division of the Uber Engineering Team: a high-performance culture marked by fearlessness and achievement. We focus on the development of key technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. Our work is primarily in the areas of mapping and sensing. Our team is comprised of world-class developers and engineers with decades of experience and we’re looking for superstar engineers who can work faster and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence.
As an Uber ATE team member, you’ll have a direct impact on the innovation of cutting edge technologies. The work you will do will be hugely impactful. The experience you will gain will be unique and unmatched. Do you dream about changing the world using your passion for engineering? Then you should apply to join our team. We are ambitious, engaged and excited about disrupting the transportation industry across the world.
Here are the kinds of skills we’re looking for:
- Fast learner. We’re looking for team members who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
- Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you’d never call code or design “released” until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others’ candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products. Whether you’re working on a software library used by other developers, building a new datacenter abstraction layer, or sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
We’re presently seeking people with these qualities to join our Map Automation subteam, a team that uses our extensive imagery and trace data for mapping applications to build data pipelines that extract valuable bits of information from imagery and GPS data in order to optimize and augment maps. This will have a direct impact on both riders and drivers by helping them connect faster and more efficiently. We are looking for a seasoned software engineer who has a solid grasp of machine learning theory and statistical inference – someone who is able to whiteboard some theory while at the same time is able to roll up his/her sleeves and get coding. We expect the person to be able to read and understand research papers and be able to translate the ideas into efficient code. We also expect the person to be data oriented – i.e. be able to set up experiments to measure things that will in turn drive decisions.
Successful candidates should have:
- Strong programming skills in either Java, C++, or Python
- Experience with developing big-data processing pipelines over Hadoop or similar technologies.
- Experience with developing systems for detection, recognition, classification, entity-matching, etc.
- Experience with machine learning/statistical inferencing technologies such as random forests, deep nets., Bayesian nets, etc.
- Experience in mapping, or computational geometry is a plus.
- A Ph.D. in a quantitative field preferred but not required.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, paid company holidays and Uber credits.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top