Mechanical R&D Test Engineer
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
As a hardware test engineer on the V&V team, you will participate in requirements engineering, develop hardware verification and validation plans, develop test cases, design/build test fixtures, execute tests and document results, validate components and systems.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the TeamWhat You'll do
- Characterize and test mechanical, thermal, and vibrational properties of self-driving vehicle compute systems, cameras, lidar, and mechanical structures.
- Design, build and maintain mechanical test fixtures.
- Develop test cases to validate reliability of components
- Develop tools and methods to automate testing for rapid deployment
- Perform quantitative tests to determine how temperature, humidity, and mechanical stress impact subsystem performance
- Write test scripts in high-level languages like Python, LabView or Matlab to automate test equipment.
- Utilize data acquisition systems to collect data
- Maintain engineering processes, documentation, and configuration management
What You'll need
- Creative problem solving
- Prototype development and testing experience
- Detailed experience with reliability tests (thermal, shock, vib, UV, etc)
- Broad general mechanical engineering knowledge
- Familiarity with circuits and software control of instruments
- Great data gathering and analytical skills
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or a related field and 5 years of work experience or
- Advanced degree (Masters, Ph.D.) in Mechanical Engineering or a related field and 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with safety-critical hardware systems and components
- Understanding of automotive applications and standards
- Experience in agile project environments
- CAN bus vehicle standard familiarity
About the Team
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Phoenix, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
Our hardware team's role is to develop and integrate UBER self-driving technologies into existing and future vehicle platforms of multiple OEM's at scale.
Back to top