Mapping, Localization, and Pose Engineer
The Uber Advanced Technology Center is the Pittsburgh division of the elite Uber Engineering Team; a high-performance culture marked by fearlessness and hyper-productivity. We focus on the development of key long-term technologies that advance Uber's mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. Our research is primarily in the areas of mapping, vehicle safety, and autonomy. Our team is comprised of world-renowned researchers with decades of experience and we're looking for superstar engineers who can work harder, faster, and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence.
As an Uber ATC team member, you'll have a direct impact on the innovation of cutting edge technologies. The work you will do will be tested and deployed on real systems, in real-world conditions. The experience you will gain will be unique and unmatched. Do you dream about improving transit on a global scale using your passion for science and engineering? Then you should apply to join our team. We are ambitious, engaged and excited about transforming the transportation industry across the world. We are moving real assets and real people. Our research will make this process safer and more efficient now and in the decades to come.
Do you enjoy having your software make critical decisions rather than just "process" or "display"? Do you enjoy making software that alters the physical world? It isn't for the faint of heart: there's no margin for getting it wrong, no place for "top 10 answer is good enough" or where a 2nd best guess does the job. We need people unafraid of crafting cutting edge localization and pose estimation systems to produce highly reliable output, every time, in all conditions.
To do that, UATC is looking to significantly expand its elite team. We need engineers at all levels, with specializations in developing new real-time registration, localization and pose estimation algorithms from a variety of sensor and inertial data, and/or production-quality software development, with the following attributes:
- Highly skilled in probabilistic filtering theory, or geometric computer vision, or inertial pose theory
- Extensive, demonstrable results in real-world applications
- Good experience and comfort programming in C++. Python skills are also desirable but not essential.
- Shown ability to produce computationally intensive software that must run and produce high quality results in real time
- Prior experience in any of pose estimation, probabilistic filtering, SLAM, nonlinear optimization, autonomy, networking, or user interfaces desired
Here are the kinds of skills we're looking for:
- Fast learner. We're looking for team members who flourish by applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
- Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on showing that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code or design "released" until you're confident it's correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products. Whether you're working on a software library used by other developers, a sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, or a printed circuit to be mass produced, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Do you want to help develop the next generation mapping technology for Uber? We're looking for talented C++/python software engineers to help develop the next generation of tools to create 3D maps. Are you ready to help us build the future?
We need engineers at all levels, with deep skills in any of the following areas:
- Production-quality software development
- Numerical or scientific computing
- Fast data structures for efficient spatial representation and querying
- Managing large data structures and implementing algorithms that operate efficiently with in-core and out-of-core configurations
- All candidates are expected to be strong C++ programmers used to operating on linux, with modern tool chains and development work practices.
Candidates with GPGPU experience are also desired, as are candidates with GUI development experience (Qt, OpenGL).
Experts in computer vision, lidar processing, or machine learning should apply to the related job postings at the same site.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top